Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Perugia LIRZ DME Question

After getting my parking situation sorted out, now Im studying the charts for Perugia LIRZ. It has several approaches to RWY 1, ILS ( V thru Z no X)and LOC (V thru Z no X) but all share one thing in common that is DME IPE which has a frequency of 330.65. This DME is used in a step down procedure for all the ILS and LOC approaches.

My question is does a normal DME have frequencies in that range? I dont remember frequencies that high. Im probably wrong but its worth asking about.

KHTO, LHTL

I do not see that on the Jeppesen charts where I see the IPE LOC and PRU VORDME frequencies 110.95 and 109.4 MHz shown, respectively. The respective DME frequency (which is actually in the 960-1215 MHz band) gets tuned based on the LOC/VOR frequency. (In cases where a DME is not collocated with a LOC or VOR, one would tune the so-called “shadow frequency”).

The frequency you are seeing is the GS frequency, which would get tuned automatically for the GS signal when you tune in the LOC frequency, i.e. you should be able to ignore that.

Jeppesen has a good summary of the frequency bands at http://ww1.jeppesen.com/documents/aviation/notices-alerts/change-sets/Radio-Aids.pdf.

Last Edited by wbardorf at 10 Oct 17:48
EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Sorry, make that “ghost frequency” instead of “shadow frequency” :)

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

It does show in the LOC box Perugia/S Franceso IPE 110.95 in another box GP DME-P Perugia/S. Francesco IPE 330.65 CH 46Y the 3rdBox has DVOR/DME Perugia PRU 109.4 CH31X

So basically to get the IPE Distance just put the 110.95 into the DME it illustrates the ILS step down points. Is that correct? Dont have to bother with 330.65?

Im using Italian Govt charts and have not seen this before.

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

KHTO, LHTL

The “GP DME-P” box gives the frequency of the GP and the channel of the DME. So the GP frequency is 330.65 MHz and the DME channel is 46Y. Both of these are paired with the localiser frequency 110.95 MHz and will be tuned automatically when you enter that frequency.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thanks for your help.
Airborne_Again wrote:

Both of these are paired with the localiser frequency 110.95 MHz and will be tuned automatically when you enter that frequency.

Never ran into this before and it seems its not necessary for me to know or at least I was not taught why I should know it. Thats what happens when I deviate from Jepp charts.To be clear, “that frequency” is 110.95. Is that correct?

KHTO, LHTL

Maybe someone should post both the AIP chart and the Jepp one?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

C210_Flyer wrote:

Never ran into this before and it seems its not necessary for me to know or at least I was not taught why I should know it. Thats what happens when I deviate from Jepp charts.
IIRC the frequency ranges for GP and DME are included in the (EASA) IR TK, as is the fact that these frequencies are paired with localiser frequencies (or with VOR frequencies in the case of DME) and you only ever have to tune the localiser frequency. The only really important thing to know is that the frequencies are paired.

To be clear, “that frequency” is 110.95. Is that correct?

Yes.

Peter wrote:

Maybe someone should post both the AIP chart and the Jepp one?

AIP:

Jeppesen:

IMHO showing the 330.65 on the AIP one is just contrary to aviation practice. Why don’t they also state the DME frequency, which is somewhere around 1GHz??

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message