Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PFL's by myself?

Morning everyone. Whenever I can’t find something on Google, I know exactly where to go to get my questions answered!

I’m basically just wondering if I am allowed to do PFL’s by myself, now that I’m no longer in training. I live in Orkney, so avoiding built up areas is not a problem! I know I can do them at the airport, but that’s basically doing a glide approach while 1,000ft on downwind. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for practising engine failure in the circuit, but if that does happen the chances of you making it to the runway are pretty high. Or even near the runway, where emergency crews can get to you fast. I want to be well practised in the art of PFL’s out in the fields. I obviously trained for these, but that’s a while ago and I wan’t to be on top of my game, if or when it happens. Especially since I carry passengers a lot.

I realise that PFL’s would take me below 500ft agl, but is there an exception?

Thanks,

SF.

I don’t see why not. Instructors have told me that most pilots don’t seem to practice these between instruction lessons and so become very rusty.
Confess I’ve only done this myself once or twice, so am out of practice.

In the UK, Rule 5 requires to you remain clear of people, buildings and animals but doesn’t prohibit flight below 500 feet itself.
I believe that will change with the introduction of SERA later this year, which will ban all flight below 500 feet except take-off and landing.
(This may well be the case already in other countries.)

Obviously, you would want to take extra care, power up as soon as you have “made the field” or realise you wouldn’t. Plenty of carb heat and the odd engine warm up if idling for any length of time.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

You can certainly do PFls solo as a qualified PPL. I’m unsure of the situation about going below 500’ under the new EASA regime. I only practice PFLs as taught before a check-out on some rented aircraft. Instead I practice getting in to strips from various situations. That is legal as I land. (I messed up today and had to go-around).
You could contact some of the Orkney strip owners for permission
PS Also practice up-slope landings. PPS Practice touching down on the stall whenever possible.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message