Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pictures: VFR flying in Switzerland

chrisparker correct! Minimise I meant, thanks.

There is a reason also for chosing the shady side of the canyon if possible, which I learned from an Italian. I can’t recall why, better visibility? You are turning into rising air (depends on time F day and prevailing winds, so don’t think this would be a reason?)

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 26 May 16:27
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

There is a reason also for chosing the shady side of the canyon if possible, which I learned from an Italian

Never heard that one. I put myself on the side which gives me the best visibilty around the next corner. The sooner I can see it’s clear, the better.

Last Edited by chrisparker at 26 May 16:53
Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

The “informal” traffic rule for canyon flying is fly on the right side of the valley and cross the ridge / pass at a 45 degree angle.

How about not flying on the side which had the wind blowing from it i.e. causing a downdraught?

That would unfortunately place everybody (including opposing traffic) on the same side of the canyon…

I wonder whether opposing traffic is safer than same-direction traffic, because I have had the latter coming out of Zell am See and never got visual with it. I got it on TCAS and tried to outclimb it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In general it is advised not to do canyon flying when winds are above 20kts as that will definitely catch you when you cross the ridge, if it hasn’t caught you before. Below 20kts downdrafts are (usually) not a factor. If you have to avoid a side of the canyon due to downdrafts chances are very high you won’t make it across the pass when you come to it.

In the Alps it is considered good airmanship to make blind calls on the relevant mountain frequency (130.0 in France, 130.35 in Switzerland), or on the local altiport frequency.

It doesn’t have to be complicated:
“Maule SIerra Alpha verticale Beaufort à destination de Méribel. Col de la Louze en deux minutes à 500 pieds sol.”
If not in French, then English, Italian or German is better than nothing.

Even just “Maule SIerra Alpha Col de la Louze en deux minutes cap sud” will warn anyone else in the vicinity.

From the AFPM:
Attention, des collisions en vol par défaut d’utilisation de la fréquence montagne ont été évitées de justesse.
En évolution sur des altisurfaces ou à proximité d’un site “montagne” , ne jamais utiliser la fréquence 123.50 aéroclub,
mais Fréquence Montagne “obligatoire” 130.00
Sauf les altiports qui ont chacun leur fréquence.
En Suisse,cette fréquence est 130.35 (ULM interdits en Suisse).

As for turning in a narrow valley, if you have spare kinetic and/or potential energy, it’s easy and fun to make an energy-management turn. If you’ve run out of both, you’re stuffed.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

How about not flying on the side which had the wind blowing from it i.e. causing a downdraught?

In addition, if you have to make a 180, you will turn into the wind, reducing your effective turn radius.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

How about not flying on the side which had the wind blowing from it i.e. causing a downdraught

That’s a good general rule, but – as all who have shot at Blair Atholl have observed – depending on topology, sunshine, etc., the movement of air in a valley is not always readily predictable from the general wind direction at higher levels.

It’s nice, and sometimes essential, to use up-draughts to augment aeroplane performance, but wise to have a strategy (other than just lowering the nose) for unexpected sink.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Great thread and very useful.

Also posted on the mountain flying thread:

Am planning to fly to Locarno using the Simplon pass route.

Was planning on stopping in Lausanne. Locarno has customs but thought it would give me a chance for a break before going through the Alps!

I spoke to them and they say I need to file a flight plan for the Alps.

I realise that from a safety point of view this is an excelent idea…can someone give me some more information please?

I have signed up to the Austrian Control site, to get the GAFOR weather.

I use Runway HD…NOT skydemon…as I prefer the maps..Runway HD doesn’t have the routes or GAFOR weather.

Is there another way of getting the GAFOR weather bulletins?

Thanks.

Rgds

Hampshire

You don’t need (legally) to file a plan for the Alps – it’s a “nice to have”. Locarno might request a flight plan as it is a controlled airport.

There is a briefing station in Lausanne where you can get the GAFOR. Otherwise I am not sure it is accessible for free.

Sign in to add your message