Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pilot Magazines

That is amazing!

Yes the ads will look familiar. I have a pic of Shoreham airport, c. 1979, and it looks almost same as today.

I still have the US AOPA mags as mentioned here. The pile is now 40cm thick

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

NicR wrote:

Flyer magazine is now free for everyone to read online

The Flyer back catalogue becomes free after a 3 month delay; same for the UK LAA magazine. AOPA Pilot has highlights from each edition on their website, and Plane and Pilot has individual articles. I think the market has changed and nowadays magazine content has to be published online to bring search traffic to the publisher.

Astonishingly, Google Books has a complete series of 80 years of Flying (and its predecessor Popular Aviation) from 1927 to 2008, which someone must have spent a long time scanning. Just had a quick look at one from 1946 and it’s funny how familiar the aircraft in the adverts are

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

And for those who don’t know, Flyer magazine is now free for everyone to read online:

https://issuu.com/flyerdigital/docs/flyerdecember2020

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

I read flying and motor mags in the Aberdeen town library […] electronic media

Eureka moment just checked my library’s website and they do magazines online via an app, including:

• Plane & Pilot
  • Flying
  • Australian Flying
  • AERO Magazine América Latina (Spanish, mostly jets)
  • Le fana de l’aviation (French, mostly history)

Which includes 1 to 3 years of back-issues. Easily more than I could read.

I get the LAA mag with my subscription; sadly I seem to never have time to read it, but it’s the kind of content I like. There’s usually a good trip report, there’s technical stuff about building and maintenance, a monthly article about all the stuff that’s broke recently on LAA members planes etc.

Andreas IOM

I take it all back about Pilot: the infringements article in the November edition is proper investigative journalism

Jujupilote wrote:

I like the technical articles of kitplanes, which is available on their website. How they are still free I don’t know but it’s great !

Just read a very good article/comparison on avionics on their website. Never heard of it before but will browse for more!

always learning
LO__, Austria

A proportion of buyers of GA magazines are dreamers who never get round to flying. Impulse buyers at news-stands. A market only available to paper, not electronic media

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I’ve found them pretty poor for many years. I always thought the USA aopa mag was the pick of the bunch but I have to say I haven’t read it for many years.

I’ve always thought Propliner was the best of the aviation magazines and even now when I read back editions I think it’s quite a good historical account.

Poland used to have “Pilot Klub” but it shut down some years ago. They published a lot of my articles. The guy who ran it became an airline pilot, I think.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
58 Posts
Sign in to add your message