Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper Malibu PA46 N757NY down in Goose Bay

I have no idea. The Garmin 4.9 and 9 arc-second databases include coverage for Greenland (indeed the entire arctic land areas).

Last Edited by JasonC at 13 May 13:50
EGTK Oxford

From here local copy

Strong head winds from above prompted them to fly at a low altitude, Rutherford said, and a map that would have alerted them to the rising terrain ahead of them had failed to download to their software.

“I was programming the GPS at the time, so I don’t know why it happened, I just know what happened,” he says.
“I just remember, at one stage we were flying, and the next moment we weren’t.”

I don’t know what software he was running. Is terrain an option in SD?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes SD can do sessentially the same presentation as garmin, but I believe the option is not enabled by default.

For those who don’t know, click the map layers button, terrain, enable low terrain colouring

It’s quite an amazing picture. The cabin looks intact! I wonder if they had airbags.

Last Edited by denopa at 07 Jul 18:17
EGTF, LFTF

It looks like they just flew into the snow covered hill. Like this one.

Administrator

Must be a weird feeling flying over your own wreck.

So it turns out it was a CFIT. Very lucky to be alive, and shame the other pilot didn’t make it.

It would be interesting to learn how that can happen in a TAWS equipped G1000 aircraft.

Did the TAWS fail? Did the crew know it had failed? Or did it work and the crew did not perceive the warning? And of course on all of these, why?

(and I am asking because I believe that I am no less likely than these guys to make a mistake, call it self-preservation!)

Biggin Hill

I think it is highly likely Rutherford is sued over this.

EGTK Oxford

How come aircraft ELTs are that less reliable? The thesis here show “30% usefulness” at page 39
https://commons.erau.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1083&context=edt

One may argue that a cell phone with G-meter/network signal or a self-activated portable PLB to do better job and at least they can be tested for real…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Alan Simpson was known to some here. He was a chicken farmer – British Chicken. He was at the Mali Losinj fly-in, 2014.

ELTs are less reliable than one may expect, largely because they get damaged by the impact. But often – not suggesting this is the case here – the batteries are flat.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message