Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pipistrel lands huge contract

Pipistrel signed a contract with the Indian Defence Ministry worth 194 firm orders plus 100 options for the Pipistrel Virus.

The plane is a slightly modified version of the original, with kevlar reinforcements for the cockpit, energy-absorbing seats and digital avionics. The powerplant will be a Rotax 80.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 20 Nov 15:12

What would they intend to use them for?

Training seems little likely, these motor gliders have flying characteristics quite different from any subsequent aircraft. Anybody beginning training on these would have to unlearn several acquired habits on more performant planes.

Patrol? Perhaps yes, they can fly both slow and fast and are quite agile in manoeuvres. And nothing could beat them for low cost of operation.

Combat/counter-insurgency? Unlikely, insufficient payload I think, but I am not a weapons expert.

Last Edited by at 20 Nov 18:40
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
Last Edited by europaxs at 20 Nov 18:28
EDLE

It’s the Virus SW, which isn’t a motorglider.

EDLE

The VIRUS is a rather unfortunate name in English

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

@Neil I thought it’s funny. How often can you say, “I’ve got the Virus,” and be happy about it?

I would say it depends on where you live and what you get up to

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The company name sounds absolutely awful in German…

… and worse in French ;)

One must agree, though, that each and every of their designs has been impressive – with a possibility of doubt on their recent 4-seater.

Last Edited by at 20 Nov 20:26
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Wasn’t it VW that had to rename their model “Nova” in the Spanish speaking countries, because it means “doesn’t work”? But probably Pipistrel never thought about other languages at the time they chose their name.

PS: it seems to be an urban legend, but a nice one IMHO: http://www.duetsblog.com/2012/07/articles/branding/that-story-about-the-chevy-nova-its-a-no-go/

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 20 Nov 22:12
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message