Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Placement of portable devices in the cockpit

Garmin safetaxi is much better than Jepp georeferenced taxi plates. Much clearer and zoom works well as they are vector charts.

I’m pretty sure that Jeppesens are also vector charts. Let’s hope that Jeppesen will soon georeference them all. In the first version of JeppFD there was no georeferencing at all, now at least we have it on the approach and 10-9 charts. Maybe the next version… But our company will certainly not pay for another product like Garmin’s just for better taxi charts.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Garmin safetaxi is much better than Jepp georeferenced taxi plates. Much clearer and zoom works well as they are vector charts.

EGTK Oxford

The green highlighter on Jeppesen FD is a godsend, to be able to highlight a taxi route at the larger airfields is a major safety benefit especially when the visibility is poor and if your iPad has a GPS feed you will also get you position on the taxi chart.

In theory, yes. But for some obscure reason the aircraft symbol only shows on the 10-9 chart and not on the detailed charts like 10-9A. I was in Madrid (my personal nightmare of an airport, minimum 20 minutes taxi time each way) last weekend and the 10-9 chart is useless because apart from the runway designators it does not have any labels on it. And the charts that you actually need for taxiing (like 10-9B below) don’t show your position.

BTW: As usual, we had to use the runways that are furthest apart from the general aviation terminal: 32R for landing and 14L for takeoff, on other visits we were sent to 18L and 36R – almost 30 minutes taxi time.

Last Edited by what_next at 02 Jul 12:19
EDDS - Stuttgart

The green highlighter on Jeppesen FD is a godsend, to be able to highlight a taxi route at the larger airfields is a major safety benefit especially when the visibility is poor and if your iPad has a GPS feed you will also get you position on the taxi chart.

JeppFD allows you to scribble on the chart. Other than for noting down the minimum i found that not very useful in practice, however.

Ah, you mean that “highlighter” function. The only use I have for that is to trace the taxi clearance on the chart or to highlight special notes like the speed restriction on go-arounds in places like Salzburg or Innsbruck. But writing anything with green transparent “ink” for later use?

EDDS - Stuttgart

JeppFD allows you to scribble on the chart. Other than for noting down the minimum i found that not very useful in practice, however.

Biggin Hill

…I am sure the standard handwriting facility is no good…

And no handwriting input is provided with JeppFD (IFR), so one would have to switch apps whenever a note needs to be taken.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Are AirGizmo mounts okay in G-reg?

I don’t think anybody cares what removable devices you install.

The potential paperwork issue arises if you permanently install power connectors, cables, etc. Somebody ought to sign that off. It also needs to be done properly e.g. have a dedicated circuit breaker which protects the wiring.

Not sure if I can post a PDF which is what Notability exports.

You can post a screenshot of the PDF, but really what would be interesting is a video of somebody doing this in the cockpit. I am sure the standard handwriting facility is no good because the result is like a 2 year old writing. What might work is an app which immediately reduces the writing to a small size and stacks it up tightly – to resemble the spacing of normal writing. But then you have corrections to deal with…

Last Edited by Peter at 02 Jul 07:13
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Commander – beautiful cockpit, looks like Santa’s visited the avionics shop!

Are AirGizmo mounts okay in G-reg?

Will post what I write down tomorrow. Not sure if I can post a PDF which is what Notability exports.

Last Edited by JasonC at 01 Jul 22:29
EGTK Oxford
42 Posts
Sign in to add your message