Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Plan B: VFR to Croatia Easter 2019

Peter wrote:

Mare Mare is high quality but not cheap

Peter, pleeease add a database feature to the website for this kind of info.

EG anytime LDLO is typed, it becomes a clickable link leading to the info database, where all members can quickly add info from threads into a structured format.

After some time I’m sure it would be valuable enough to pay for this website.

always learning
LO__, Austria

No, we departed at 13 local in Portoroz and landed about one hour later, our plane is a CH 601 XL, D-MAAO.

EDSO, Germany

Peter: then I would be all ears about other good „hotels“ in Mali Losinj. The Apoksiomen closed its
doors 3-4 years ago. The other places in Mali Losinj are usually „Apartman“ things which are usually low quality, don‘t offer breakfast, etc. Any other hotel is outside of Mali Losinj (not really walkable), plus they are often „eastern block style „family hotels“…

Tobias: enjoy the stay! If you want to some flying today, you could pop over to Unije (need PPR from the owner, but no permission from the CAA, since you are in an ULM). Otherwise, you could do Vrsar. Or, if you want to more (southbound) flying, go to Brac or Hvar. Just mind the closing time of Losinj airport.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Apr 06:10
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

pleeease add a database feature to the website for this kind of info.

This has come up before many times

It has been shown over and over that very few people contribute to such a database. 1 or 2 of them exist out there but the crowd feeding them is tiny and most of the data is out of date. A pilot still has to dig out the AIP etc… and hotels change around.

This is why, in the Trips section, we ask people to use the ICAO code as well as place names. And I spend time editing thread names to include the ICAO codes where people don’t put them in Then a search on the ICAO code gets you lots of hits.

then I would be all ears about other good „hotels“ in Mali Losinj. The Apoksiomen closed its
doors 3-4 years ago. The other places in Mali Losinj are usually „Apartman“ things which are usually low quality, don‘t offer breakfast, etc. any other hotel is outside of Mali Losinj (nit really walkable), plus they are often „eastern block style „family hotels“…

If you want “5 star German” level then, no, there is very little anywhere in Croatia, in the Adriatic, apart from perhaps Dubrovnik and such. Most people stay in apartments. Booking.com shows 628 and this lot is all walkable and nearly all available:

Self catering is a good way to do these trips. You get a large amount of space and popping into the local supermarket on arrival gets you whatever breakfast you want, for a tiny fraction of the €20 which a lot of hotels charge for a breakfast.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We flew to LDDU yesterday and arrived at 1pm LOC. Perfect weather and surprisingly few other planes on the Adria1-Route as well as in LDDU itself. Only one other C172 and a Malibu were at the airport when we got there.

Tomorrow we fly back, but I am not sure yet where we will be making our stop for fuel and to let the Pax walk a few minutes. Yesterday we stopped in LDPL which worked fine, but I guess LDLO has a nicer restaurant just outside the airport.
Any other suggestions to split the trip to LOLS in half and maybe do customs as well (not necesserily, we can do that in LDDU as well of course)?

Austria

Brac LDSB is a good stop. The little town of Bol is right under the airport. Plenty of nice restaurants there.

A couple of videos of Brac at the end

The cafe at Losinj LDLO airport is very small. Great for a few drinks but I am not sure about the food situation. We did a fly in there in 2014.

All these airports have customs and immigration, so leaving Croatia is a non-issue. You need to pick a suitable schengen entry point in (say) Italy or wherever you are going. Portoroz LJPZ in Slovenia is excellent for that; we did a great fly-in there in 2015.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Beautiful, but a little too close to LDDU. I want to split the trip in half, so my passengers don’t have to sit more than 2 hours at a time in the plane.

Drinks at LDLO should be enough. It is a lovely bar at the airport :)

I can do customs and point of entry in LOLS PPR. Even though they actually almost never show up.

Austria

Yes, and actually, Brac isn‘t even an option for that. Even just the drive to Bol takes almost 20 minutes, and after that, one usually wants to get rid of one‘s breakfast, because of all the turns…

The Portoroz airport restaurant has just closed its doors, so that is not an option.

Losinj is the only real option. The place there at the airport has its special charm, and it‘s actually ok for lunch, too. No haute cuisine of course (generally difficult to find in ex Jugoslavia), but I had some good salads last year, and the Cevapcici was perfectly ok, too. Fits that place very well. Our friends from Innsbruck flew in with their Jetprop for that…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The food at Lošinj airport is tasty and cheap, we can recommend it! Just one more question: Where can I find the phone number to file a flight plan in Croatia? In the AIP I didn’t find it… or can I also do it with SkyDemon?

EDSO, Germany

Skydemon or any other program should work.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message