Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Planning a trip Hannover EDDV to Bornholm EKRN (with family, and risk management)

alioth wrote:

That’s not true. We’ve even had video on EuroGA of a light single (a Pawnee) ditching, and it did not end up on its back. In fact there’s several photo sequences and videos online of fixed gear aircraft ditching and not ending up upside down.

Well, a Pawnee is a taildragger, how many tricycle gear airplanes did not roll over? Personally, if I ever have to ditch a retractable airplane, I’ll definitely keep the gear up.

EuroFlyer wrote:

But don’t always take an FI with you. They tend to micromanage, they fumble with the controls and avionics, they tune in frequencies and so on, which means you don’t learn it.

During my PPL ab initio training, I learned to push back. Tell them “I’m training for single pilot operations, so please monitor and ensure safety, but let me do it all”. Including if you drop something and have to pick it up, all while flying the plane without autopilot. If they speak of non-essential stuff at the wrong time, tell them “tell me that later”, “wait, first I stabilise the aircraft in cruise / attitude / altitude / …”, do it and then “OK, now I’m listening”. If your FI does not appreciate this kind of behaviour, IMHO change FI.

One of the most helpful FIs I ever flew with actually didn’t touch anything, nor said anything related to the flight during our first navigation flight. She calls that “playing potato sack”. Then, on the way back she became more active and used her observations of the previous flight to decide what needed teaching.

ELLX
Sign in to add your message