Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Planning a trip to EDTZ Konstanz

To visit the Friedrichshafen fair, I hope to fly to EDTZ Konstanz, reported to be open though sadly there were plans to close the field.
Flight time would be around four hours, which is just too much to make it in a single leg. So I need to stop to refuel somewhere or other.
Ideally I stop somewhere in the German Saarland, perhaps EDRP Pirmasens which is reported to have MoGas; alternates might be EDRZ Zweibrücken or EDRX Neunkirchen/Bexbach.

-) any comments about the aerodromes mentioned? Better ideas? The ideal field will have MoGas and a restaurant, be open on a Thursday or Friday, and accept credit cards for both facilities. ILS and hard runway NOT required

-) how’s about the airspace of ETAD Spangdahlem (which is on my straight route, though a detour could be arranged)? In these days of terrorism, uncle Sam might be very vigilant, even distrustful. Is this airspace usually active, or only per NOTAM? My paper map says “GND-3700 HX” but it is not really up to date. Or would I simple fly above, i.e. more than 3700 AMSL?

-) when departing the Saarland, lots of controlled airspace around Karlsruhe and Strassburg, any special precautions?

Carrying a mode C transponder, which has been known to report altitudes.

Last Edited by at 25 Mar 12:27
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

EDRZ is PPR! No Fuel!

EDWF, Germany

Thanks Tiger, PPR is not a hardship to me but fuel is essential, thus no EDRZ for this trip until further notice.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I’ll try to send you the GAFOR pics, generated by german DWD ( Deutscher Wetterdienst), here in this thread for germany as far as I can for your date of departure if you like and need.

EDWF, Germany

That is a very kind intention. I am sure I’ll not be the only one to receive them in gratitude.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

As far as I can remember, you have an ultralight aeroplane, so you can land in Markdorf, very close to Friedrichshafen. Lot of ultralights stayed there at this field during the last AERO. For overnight parking you have to call them in advance.

EDWF, Germany

I do fly an ultralight, your memory is quite ok! And I am aware of the Markdorf offer, and seem to remember a similar formula from another field. But I have my reasons for preferring EDTZ, even if it were only to support that field’s continuity.

Thanks for thinking along, though!

Last Edited by at 25 Mar 14:20
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Konstanz is one of my favorite aerodromes! Easy to find, friendly & in a wonderful place. Have fun!

Tököl LHTL

Koblenz has little attraction for this trip: it is a bit out of the way, not even near half-way, and offers only the expensive UL91 from Total.

(The restaurant is much praised by some, others found it rather mediocre. I have not been there.)

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

After some more consideration, the route now looks like

EBZH – EDKV (optional landing) – EDRG Idar-Oberstein for lunch and fuel – EDTB Baden-Baden (optional landing) – EDTZ

This would avoid congested areas like Strasbourg.

Comments? Suggestions?

Last Edited by at 26 Mar 21:22
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message