Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Planning a VFR Flight from Teuge (EHTE) to Autun (LFQF)

This weekend I am planning a VFR trip to France (LFQF). I’ll fly along the border through Germany to circumnavigate Belgium and enter France just north of Saarlouis. The map seems a bit intimidating, am I to expect problems crossing the R213 airspace and Lorraine TMA? Any tips or advice you may have to share is welcome!

EHTE, Netherlands

If you are asking for general advice regarding flying VFR in France, rest assured that it is much more straightforward (literally) than it may look on a map. A lot of restricted stuff will not be active – especially at the weekend. Be sure to always be in radio contact (you will be passed on to each next station as you fly along, obviously). The controllers will be very helpful, they not which areas are active and which aren’t and they will simply clear you through huge chunks of airspace. I don’t think Lorraine TMA would be a problem, either. Have a good flight. You will be overflying my hometown of Kleve as you cross the border from NL to DE, I suppose.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I wouldn’t bother with avoiding Belgium. You are not even landing there…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

As for the EDRJ (Saarlouis) region: I made my initial PPL over there, entering French airspace is easy even the VFR charts look totally crazy. As Patrick said: stay in radio contact, ATC is very supportive in France and grants you mostly everything. Alternatively: fly at 100 ft. AGL and they wont find you on their radar

Patrick wrote:

You will be overflying my hometown of Kleve as you cross the border from NL to DE, I suppose.

Thanks, Kleve? We live closeby. I live near Nijmegen.

EHTE, Netherlands

boscomantico wrote:

…wouldn’t bother with avoiding Belgium…

I have thought about it, but since the detour through Germany isn’t adding that much to the trip I wanted to make it a little easier on myself.

Last Edited by Bobo at 30 Jul 08:17
EHTE, Netherlands

Thanks, Kleve? We live closeby. I live near Nijmegen.

Nice! Lovely city!

As already said, VFR in france is ok in s traight line .

If not flying high enough you might have trouble contacting the SIV or FIR near the DE border but crossing the Lorraine TMA should avoid this issue and poses zero problem.

I could not find the R213 on my old map in the office but just ask ATC/ATS and they will find out activity for you.

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Greetings from France, it was a smooth flight! No problems whatsoever with CAS and ATC. Tomorrow we’ll fly back to Teuge.

EHTE, Netherlands

Great – enjoy France as long as you’re still there. And I’ll listen out on Langen Information tomorrow when I’ll be flying…

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message