Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Please don't remove the blank line after the < /blockquote >

Can I ask people to do a little test?

Swipe some text in somebody’s post and when the Quote button appears

press it, and then move the cursor into the text entry box, and type something.

Do you see a blank link after the closing “blockquote” and before the text you have just typed?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Do you see a blank link after the closing “blockquote” and before the text you have just typed?

Yes!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I have (for now) concluded that the blank line is being correctly inserted on all platforms but some posters remove it with some sort of action – probably by then placing the cursor immediately after the closing < /blockquote >.

IOW:

The lack of a blank line exposes some issue in the software. The fix seems to be complicated. For now, I am manually fixing all these posts…

Administrator

Just did a quote elsewhere… so in response to Peter’s email, no issues with the gap for me – Win10 touchscreen.

I do recall that sometime before Christmas trying to quote a quote, or having 2x quotes where I couldnt get the quotes to show up properly. Possibly my finger trouble, because I was trying to take quotes from 2 different pages in one post and the text gets lost between pages?? I was cut ’n pasting to get around it which I guess was the issue?

Regards, SD..

I fixed your post, adding the blank line, which is why you can’t see a problem

I am certain the issue occurs on touch screen devices. Try doing it again, @skydriller. I am out for today so won’t fix it

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I am certain the issue occurs on touch screen devices.

Ok, so lets have a wee look at this then…

@skydriller you managed to do it here

Administrator

Peter, I see there is a bigger gap in the post you linked to, than in the one above, but I havent consciously done anything different… Seriously I havent.
Same touchscreen laptop, same browser.

That’s really interesting.

That post now contains this

but it should have contained this

Somehow, the blank line after the / blockquote had disappeared by the time you pressed Submit. Or it was never there to start with, which would be an even bigger mystery.

Try using the blockquote function again and see if it delivers the blank line in the right place.

Administrator
I now believe that the posters who lose the blank line are in fact placing their cursor at the end of the closing blockquote – at least in some cases, on laptop/desktop machines which, not having a finger interface, really should not be doing weird things.
Administrator
Sign in to add your message