Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Porto LPPR and Vilar de Luz LPVL

Somebody has flown to Porto LPPR in the last months? Something special to know? Handling is enforced? Prices? Slot needed? In the portuguese AIP there seems to be not much practical information about this kind of things... (or I haven't found it at least)

LECU - Madrid, Spain

This is not recent, but some years ago I flew into LPVL - Maia / Vilar da Luz on the recommendation of a local pilot, who advised against LPPR because of cost and hassle (handling, etc). Maia is a great little field some 10 or so miles east of LPPR, but somewhat in the middle of nowhere. At the time we were picked up privately, therefore not sure about local transport, although I don't recall seeing any. IIRC I didn't pay any landing fees, or if so then a negligible amount. Don't think they have Avgas, we refuelled at LPAV / Aveiro at the time.

I’m reviving this old thread because there’s really not much info about Porto at EuroGA. I’ll be in Valladolid next week and I plan to make few short trips somewhere around. Porto sounds attractive, I’ve never been there and it’s quite close. However, I can’t find any info who to contact regarding general aviation flight, neither at airport web site nor at ANA’s one.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

This might be interesting, though it mentions no more than a phone number which might well be in the AIP as well.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

We have been to Portugal last year (see here ). We inquired the cost for landing and (mandatory) handling at LPPT and it was quite high. We opted for Vilar de Luz (LPVL) to visit Porto.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

I’ve already checked AIP and it has correct airport web address (unlike links on page you posted ), e-mail addresses and phone numbers. AIP also lists handlers (handling is obviously mandatory due to distance between GA parking and terminal building) but none of these sites lists any information on pricing, fees, PPR etc. I’ll have to send some e-mails to get info.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

terbang wrote:

We have been to Portugal last year (see here ). We inquired the cost for landing and (mandatory) handling at LPPT and it was quite high. We opted for Vilar de Luz (LPVL) to visit Porto.

Thanks, I sent e-mails to handlers and waiting for response from Porto.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I got 3 offers for handling: €45, €77 and €245. Quoted landing fees were (in the same order of handlers): €99, €99 and €8.50. And they all quoted €3.20 for day of parking.

The first one claims airpord charges €99 for all landing aircraft up to 25 tons – something I’ve never heard. I’m wondering what’s wrong with third handler.

So I sent few additional e-mails looking for the answers.

Btw according to European laws pricelist has to be publicly available, so I’ll ask the airport.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Clarified – I checked official price list (Google is your friend ) and it says:

“Aircrafts up to 25 tonnes, per tonne 4,98”

but the last row in table says:

“Minimum charge per landing 99,77”

It doesn’t seem very friendly towards GA.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

It doesn’t seem very friendly towards GA.

Last time I inquired, handling was about 500 euros, so it’s nice you found lower. One of the airport Ops guys said that the handlers had lobbied to make self-handling unavailable, and he said he would call around and try to find the lowest and called back and said he was sorry but all the prices were the same (and high!).
I was stuck in Biarritz (one of these paperwork things where we couldn’t fly IFR due to registration issues), and at some point it was too late for LPVL, so started to inquire about Porto.
LPVL has much less facilities, (no IAP, no lights, no Jet-A1, no taxis). On the other hand, last time I went there it was free (I am a member of the local club though).
The main airport is super close to the town centre too (and the approach should be very nice too, if landing northbound).

There are published VFR routes around the area, but always asked and was able to do what I wanted. On the other hand, they were much more cautious than say, Gatwick controllers, in allowing a transit overhead (I was flying along the coast VFR, and wanted to head back to LPVL). Even when I stated I was visual with the landing liner, they told me to remain over the coast (basically until after he landed).

Could you let know the contacts of the Handlers you got prices with?

57 Posts
Sign in to add your message