Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PPL and making a living as a youtuber (and YT advertising policies)

Maoraigh wrote:

“YouTube seems to be remarkably bad at actually targeting ads.”
Is it possible that adds use the front camera to record the eyes of the viewer and record their attention? Not just YT, I find the Temu adds on all platforms puzzling.

My camera is always covered…

EGTR

“YouTube seems to be remarkably bad at actually targeting ads.”
Is it possible that adds use the front camera to record the eyes of the viewer and record their attention? Not just YT, I find the Temu adds on all platforms puzzling.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

YT is right now serving ads for the absolutely banal crap like Hero Wars every 4 (four) minutes.

There must be some difference between countries or possibly channels, because I don’t get this on YT.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This comes back to the question as to whether YT or Google decide where to put the ads or whether the advertiser has a say based on information on the audience provided by YT and Google.
There could of course be something of a midway in that an advertiser looking at the figures decides that they would be happy to see their ads shown on anything to do with aviation.
The advertising/marketing industry is very complex and its only aim is to boost the sales of its customers. How it does it is occasionally bizarre to the outsider but the most successful agencies and departments are very good at what they do. They do not waste money buying advertising slots which are unlikely to achieve their aims.
TV, Press and social media are all fighting for the same advertising dollar.

France

On FB I get, under the short reels and videos, videos of chinese girls wearing underwear I don’t know where this comes from, but I can well guess: another person has been sending me loads of FB videos over the years, with very long encoded URLs. I am sure those URLs contain his viewing preferences, and it is known that FB preferentially presents marketing data among Friends. I now delete all this guy’s multimedia…

FB videos are especially less than interesting because I can’t post the good ones here. Only YT and Vimeo material tends to stay put.

And YT will be the same. When someone posts a YT video here on EuroGA, I edit the post and trim the URL to the minimum!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

YT is right now serving ads for the absolutely banal crap like Hero Wars every 4 (four) minutes.

For all the data Google/YT have, and all the hand-wringing over targeted ads, YouTube seems to be remarkably bad at actually targeting ads. I’ve had things like women’s cosmetics being advertised to me when watching an electronics or video gaming video, when Google already have data to say I’m incredibly unlikely to be into women’s cosmetics. Similarly, fast fashion, when again any of the data I’ve given Google or that it allegedly is able to harvest would indicate I have about the square root of bugger all interest in fashion.

Last Edited by alioth at 31 Oct 17:33
Andreas IOM

I’d suggest that those who live with a music “feed” probably are the same people who live with a pretty much full time YT video feed, and they will be happily paying the fee anyway.

There are less known adblockers which still work on YT. I have just installed one

Administrator
I enjoy some of the stuff on YT but would.I pay €12 a month to watch somebody’s home video or a corporate video without ads? Not a hope in hell.

You also get YouTube music included though, and many people pay this much money just for Spotify alone.

United Kingdom

One would hope that this will help to destroy YT (since, basically, people who consume multimedia expect it for free, unless it is 4k-resolution video p0rn) and most won’t pay the tenner a month, but who knows? Obviously YT hopes the tenner will compensate for the loss of viewing numbers. They care only for their total income; they are not interested in whether anybody actually watches YT!

It will certainly reduce the exposure for flying videos since I reckon those who watch flying videos are probably not major multimedia consumers in the sense of living on YT all day long. For sure anybody who managed to get a PPL must have some sort of life…

Google is a different topic. If you have a business then you probably must pay for adwords / page ranking. I give them £300/month in my little business. But there is no real downside; google collects this money by, ahem, running the google search engine which we all use.

Administrator

arj1 wrote:

Well, sometimes I think YT is not in the business of selling ads, but in business of selling YT premium, while ads just made to push to that quicker. And ads are just so frequent, controversial and sometime plain disgusting, that they reenforce my belief.

Google is ALL about selling ads. Ad-sense is de facto the global monopoly for this kind of advertizing and websites using it are totally dependent on Google on what they get paid or not. Sure, apps like YT allow out of jail subscriptions, but not that many other of their stuff do.

Face it: Advertizing is financing a huge part of the internet. Legit or non legit, it does not matter. Big Data is all about personalized adds first and foremost so they can target each individual on their soft spots and sell their brands. The consequence of that is that also most of the online press depends fully on click-ads and is only sustainable, if they fill up their sites with advertizing to the brim, often to the extent that you have to actually look for the news between all the trash.

I am thankful that YT for a start allow me to pay my way out of this, otherwise it would go on my ban list on my routers today, particularly seeing that a lot of kids are using YT quite a lot, having them exposed to this kind of advertizing would simply be totally irresponsible. (Yes, they do that even in kids videos.)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
168 Posts
Sign in to add your message