Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Preflight testing of oxygen systems (and MH O2D2 failures)

Do you guys return the O2D2 units to Mountain High for maintenance? I haven’t done it yet, but I remember there is a service program..

No.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

As i said my O2D2 was only used five times … i hope I don’t have to send it in….

I have heard several reports of failures of the O2D2. Plus we have this thread, and this one

One pilot was told the firmware in the unit got corrupted, which is something I recognise although it is highly unusual.

I have two O2D2 regulators and both have always been perfect but then (a) both are several years old and (b) they do get exercised quite frequently which may be a factor when it comes to sticky valve failures.

What do O2D2 users here use as a backup? Another O2D2 is one option. Another one is a constant flow cannula; I keep an old Oxymiser cannula handy. This one

plugs directly into the 1st stage regulator. There is a lot more gas flow (about 2.5x) for the same effect relative to an O2D2 but in an emergency you don’t have an option.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I run two O2D2 units in parallel. The units work OK, although I sometimes get unexplainable alerts.
If that happens I move the beeping unit to some other place, and then it usually stops.
I don’t know what causes it. It could be some cabin airflow that affect the pressure sensing system.

When flying with 3 or 4 on board, I also bring 2 constant flow cannulas as a backup.

although I sometimes get unexplainable alerts

There is radar interference – here

One interesting thing is that no competitor has appeared in all the years. I wonder if they have some really good patent protection?

Administrator

MH have redesigned the O2D2 regulator – here

[my bold]

So they seem to have addressed the firmware corruption failures which according to reports appeared in recent (say, 2015-2016) batches.

The new unit looks very nice.

Administrator

It’s been alleged that these products have to be sent to MH for some sort of service every 3 years.

Has anyone heard of this?

Mine have worked perfectly for something like 10 years.

Administrator

I did it this year, just in case. They overhauled the unit and upgraded the firmware. I don’t plan on doing this every 3 years though…
Never had any complaints and no complaints after the overhaul neither.

EBST, Belgium

Question to the audience, how do you bleed your O2 system?

Installed a O2D2-2G system in my ship a few months ago, and pretty happy with the install and operation of the unit (but for the initial tickling of my nostril hair )

Page 8 of the manual states: BLEEDING THE REGULATOR, Remove the regulator outlet tubing from the EDS inlet fitting. It also recommends bleeding the pressure after each use.

Having read another manual for the older version of the unit, it said to switch it ON/OFF for a few times (yes, bottle closed…) until all the pressure is out.
Since it is more convenient than removing the tubing, I was wondering if there is any wrongdoing by using this method… any takers? Alternate method?

@dan post moved here.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message