Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Presentation and project C170

Hello Everyone,
I spoke with a friend about my desire to own my cessna and he told me, why don’t you
buy an n-reg and do the maintenance yourself ?
Here started the crazy project !
But I have two possibilities, either i will buy my cessna n-reg in Europe
or I bring it from the US to France.
The first possibility is easy, the second possibility is great because
there are more options and the adventure will be exceptional (but difficult too).

My name is Benjamin i’m 28 years old, i’m a helicopter mechanic and i’m resourceful
in general mecanic. I have the ppl a with 80 hours of flight most of them in the robin dr400.
I live in the south of france and I give me 4 month to catch all the information and
6 month after to prepar the travel.

I research a c170 or a c172 and i would like to know your experience and your advices .

Did you already do the crossing from the US to Europe with this type of aircraft ? (I think a single engine piston.)
What checks to be carried out and traps to avoid on this cessna before I buy it?

I’m sorry if my text is too long but Thank’s everyone to read me.

I’ve been dreaming about it for several years now I want it.

Glad to meet you.!!

Last Edited by bsamba at 28 Jun 13:03
Benzouille
LFTF, LFOW, LFAG, LFAT, LFKA, EGJB, France

That pic shows a 120.

Even on an N-reg., all maintenance work must be signed off. For many of the more basic things, this Ign-off can be by the owner pilot. But anything beyond that atill needs a sign-off by an A&P. And annuals must be signed off by an IA.

So, the feasibility of what you are planning to do hugely depends on whether you have an FAA A&P/IA at hand that is willing to „work“ with you.

Do you have that? There are not so many FAA certificated mechanics in France, mostly due to the language barrier.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Jun 13:51
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Both are VFR (although the C170 has venturi gyros), so need to fly the northern VFR route. The Canadians also require an instrument rating even if VFR.

The consensus is the 170B is the preferred model because of semi fowler style flaps. The A has simple flaps and the plain 170 is a ragwing.

The 120/140 has sluggish ailerons and is compact in the cockpit. A Luscombe is generally viewed as being a nicer design.

A G register Luscombe can be operated on a permit to fly which makes owner maintenance even simpler.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Welcome to EuroGA, bsamba

WOW what a project, and great to see such ambition!

N-reg has lots of advantages, for someone in the right scenario. I have been N-reg since 2005 and would not change now. As it happens, we have a Zoom session on “N-reg” on Tuesday 30th June 1900 UTC and that would be a great chance for you to ask questions.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Benjamin, why do you necessarily need an N-reg? As a helicopter mechanic, if you already have a Part 66 license with B1.3 or B1.4, adding B1.2 is just one or two exams and a bit of practical training somewhere at a local maintenance shop, and later you can also get an ARC issuing privilege.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Don’t buy a ‘straight’ (1948) fabric wing 170… the aileron control at low speeds is not acceptable, at least to me! The 170A and B are pretty nice to fly, nicer controls than a 172 and the smooth engine is very pleasant. Not much performance but enough for many good flights…

I owned a Luscombe 8A for 17 years. It was a great life experience and a fun plane but the Cessnas are better for many people, which is why they sold better. The Luscombe requires that you remain pretty sharp and at some point it’s best that you fly it intensively, lots of hours per week for several months, enough to get certain control actions permanently ingrained into your subconscious. If you don’t do that, any time you take a break for a couple of months to fly something else the plane is at risk again. The guy who bought mine put it on its back after 4 days.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Jun 17:06

The Cessna 170b seems to be a very sought after aircraft right now. A friend of mine picked up some project Aeronca Sedans. They seem like good value. I’ve another friend rebuilding a Stinson 108. Either of those with the engine mods would be great. Obviously a pacer is an easy way to do the same thing for half the price.

If your interested in a 170b make sure to look at landing gear leg attach brackets.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Hi boscomantico, yes sure!
I have to find a trust and an IA it’s why my project will take
few months but I hope that it’s possible with acquaintance and internet with long research.
Now no i dindn’t I’m only in the beginning but i think that exist network :)

Hi Robert Yes I saw that and I love so much the design of the 170 but only 5000 against 40000
for the 172.
So the 170B is most researching and most rare or expensive…
Ohhhh I hadn’t thought about a Luscombe ! It look interesting :)
A G register like a Fox Papa in France ?

Hello Peter and thanks for your enthusiasm :)
I will be delighted to participate at this session how can i do ? :)

Hi Ultranomad, I want a N-Reg for several reasons, first more options, and cheaper, second
i’m not PART66 but FRA66 i’m working in the army so I must pay the transition and i must
have time for that …
In the future Yes i will do that but now the most rapid is to catch a n-reg :)
And I don’t know why but i’m drawn with this experience, I want to get closer to this
passionate community.

Benzouille
LFTF, LFOW, LFAG, LFAT, LFKA, EGJB, France

My Luscombe experience started in a very similar way, I bought mine before I had a pilots license and maintained it myself with the help of an IA friend who was also my flight instructor. I found good things happen when you take the initiative and immerse yourself in the activity. That works better when you are young, and sets you up well for later experiences. Go for it, if it makes any sense at all.

If it’s a 170 you want, I’d recommend a 170A and because the Bs are rare, priced accordingly, and not really that much more desirable in terms of function.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Jun 16:53

@bsamba there is a charming book about a Luscombe in France

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1612527.C_est_La_Folie

The Luscombe is less forgiving than a Cub in slow flight, but I found it quite straightforward-average tailwheel proficiency should suffice.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message