Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pretty cool clip of a PC12 on tiny uphill grass field.

Here’s a pretty cool clip of a PC12 taxiing out from its underground bunker, then actually taxiing on a steep uphill taxiway to a tiny grass field. Never seen anything quite like it before. Field is in Bolzano, Dolomiti, Italy.

Just watched this yesterday and drooled…
Power and finesse… a beautiful thing.

Very cool.
A man after my own heart. That lane leading to the strip is enough of a pucker factor!

Respect. E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

Cool

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I think a video from this field was posted here before (with an amateur-built turboprop), what_next called it a pasture of an airfield or something like that.

Here he goes again with a plane full of ladies from his little grass strip directly to a short dirt strip in Sicily! So cool. Hard to beat that utility.

Martin wrote:

what_next called it a pasture of an airfield or something like that.

I guess so One of those things which only work 99 times out of 100. I only hope that he leaves the girls at home when number 100 is due (like that guy from my homebase who made his 100th 0/0 approach last week…).

Last Edited by what_next at 02 Nov 18:02
EDDS - Stuttgart

like that guy from my homebase who made his 100th 0/0 approach last week

Fate is the Hunter has a good phrase: he survived all his adventures, except his last.

Thaat departure looked rough… like some I have done off grass.

The strip in Italy looks just dirt, so more predictable unless something gets sucked in, but that should not happen, right?

Elba is fine.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Actually the performance safety envelope, at least for public transport, is a million out of a million successful outcomes plus. One in a hundred is sort of the mortality table odds on a septuagenarian, with a generous BMI, adverse medical family history etc.

Accelerate Stop Distance, always a slightly odd requirement for a single engine but required for turbines, but not for Part 91. I believe EASA doesn’t require ASDA for SET, hopefully someone has the answer on this.

In any event here is the table. Presumably the gradient means the Stop bit on short grass might be a challenge to extrapolate from the graph.

The underground bunker in the alto adige Alps does give these clips a thunderbirds type elan (this being the most anodyne cultural echo). The way they are put together are quite fun and I trust the precision engineering from the Swiss and Canadians will keep this operator out of the weeds.

Enstone (EGTN), Oxford (EGTK)

RobertL18C wrote:

In any event here is the table. Presumably the gradient means the Stop bit on short grass might be a challenge to extrapolate from the graph.

Downhill on grass or gravel is an absolute No for any accelerate-stop-distance calculation, unless the runway is very very very long. I don’t care the least what chances people take for themselves (I would estimate that the kind of flying shown here has a mortality rate similar to base jumping), but the moment they take unsuspecting passengers on board they should act like grown ups.

EDDS - Stuttgart
101 Posts
Sign in to add your message