Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pretty cool clip of a PC12 on tiny uphill grass field - Locher, Italy

Silvaire wrote:

…or to other pilots as ‘needing to grow up’,…

Sorry if I have offended you, but that “grow up” statement was referring to the guy in the video. Someone who shows off the latest turboprop plane bought with daddy’s money to half a dozen girls by flying into a place where he easily can get them all killed really need to grow up. And I will say that in his face if I ever meet him.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Another one by the same poster. Shows the airfield in a bit more detail in the beginning.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

That PC12 is certainly getting a good hammering. But I am sure Swiss rivets are very good

These “aren’t we having fun” videos are fun to watch but obviously they could be a hostage to fortune if things don’t go well. Obviously the footage will then not be published, but it might still get out, as some showing crashes have done.

Also you need to get everybody’s permission, and if somebody feels pressured they won’t fly with you again. I have been told categorically to not identify certain passengers of mine in any way… wasn’t clear why at the time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

And I just yesterday saw a Citation take off from Catalina (KAVX)

Have you ever heard of Mountain Air? (2NCO)

Citations go there regularly.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@Mooney_Driver Nice! Although the runway there is in much better shape than Catalina.

@what_next,

And I will say that in his face if I ever meet him.

…and if he bothers to reply he might reasonably ask you to mind your business

I am not for a moment suggesting that you are one of those whom William Langewiesche described as “spending year after year deep inside the flight envelope within the narrow range of maneuver that delivers smooth and safe rides to the passengers…”, but there is a spectrum of the human spirit from those worthy A320 bus-drivers to the French funambulists and Isle of Man TT racers who create something exceptional with their lives.

If you’ve never been bombed or shot at, or worked underwater, or merely had your brother killed on a city sidewalk, you may have developed a certain attitude to risk. I wouldn’t criticise that attitude, but nor would I seek to impose it on others.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Watched the original video. I have to say its the first takeoff that worries me given the lack of abort possibilities. It is an interesting and impressive strip but I would be happier in Jacko’s taildragger than in a turboprop. The Sicilian dirt field is actually well within the PC12 capabilities I am told.

The somewhat purile videos are a bit painful to watch. A middle age guy trying to be the playboy is rather pathetic. At least he is out flying his plane though.

EGTK Oxford

172driver wrote:

Good point, hadn’t considered.

And no prop strike risk.

EGTK Oxford

I recall seeing a video of a Citation taking off from Courchevel.

JasonC wrote:

I have to say its the first takeoff that worries me given the lack of abort possibilities. It is an interesting and impressive strip but I would be happier in Jacko’s taildragger than in a turboprop.

Not sure, but it might well be possible for take-off to glide into the valley on an EFATO? For landing however you could well be committed from the point you enter finals!

Do not mistake the survivability in a PC-12 airframe! It has a good track record.

Sign in to add your message