Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prevent loss of control in GA - NTSB most wanted list

Good article on Air Facts Journal

http://airfactsjournal.com/2016/12/searching-miracle-cure-loss-control-accidents/

It references a Beech forum on recurrent training in low level manoeuvring in the same way in the US you log currency on approaches/holds.

It also makes the point that improved situational awareness due to GPS/MFD technology has made a big reduction in CFIT as a cause of accidents.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Regarding the SR20 accident above: You do not practice spin entries in the SR20/22. And to get it in you not only have to stall and cross control it, but also have to hold it there. Eventually it will turn on it’s back and enter autorotation.

F_A your point about the Multi is very valid, in addition the annual test profile goes through the standard traffic pattern stall recovery exercises, to first indication of the stall.

The minimalist two hours logged at PPL in only 1 g stall awareness and prevention training, with very little theory in the Principles of Flight subject, and the lack of mandatory recurrent training, may be at fault. You can renew your SEP by experience and one hour with an instructor and perhaps never have to refresh your motor skills or recognition skills in the stall regime. In addition the main killer in low and slow is a cross controlled, skidding, 1.4~2g accelerated ‘under-the-bottom’ stall, a manoeuvre which is never practiced in the stall awareness exercises.

The spin training should build on a more thorough appreciation of the stall regime, and as this more thorough appreciation is likely to result in an untinentional spin entry, you work yourself back to the position, of ‘go on then, we better also understand spins’.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I have an issue.

If you demonstrate a spin to most pilots once there isnt a high chance they will recover for themselves their first time, unless in a type where the aircraft all but recovers itself. After a few attempts they will make a better job, but if they dont repeat the exercise within the next few years their skill level will be poor. Its the reason why engine failures in twins are required every year (not every other year) because that level of currency is important if the pilot is to make a reasonable job of the drill.

My issue is that limited spin training during your ppl never to be repeated probably has very little value should you manage an unexpected spin 5 years later.

Possibly having a spin demonstrated to you once is no bad thing, the least because you might not freeze and might manage a recovery in consequence.

Better than that might be a touch drill as part of the check flight every two years about the same time as you rehearse a stall, along the lines of the instructor asking you to assume the aircraft had departed left wing down, touch and talk through your reaction. At least you have in your mind the actions you would take.

What was that other word … “pern …y”, or something? ;-)
No, “stupid” was not a final judgement on this person’s character or intelligence. It was a “preliminary judgement subject to change after the release of the report of the NTSB”. Ok?

Flyer59 wrote:

the CFI must have either a) have been a beginner himself or, well, b) stupid (he might still be a nice guy though :-))

Or the student was terrified, clasped the commands and stepped on the rudder with all his force and the CFI wasn’t prepared to hit him hard enough to make him let go, or couldn’t due to rotational forces or was too weak… does that make him stupid? I’m not saying this is what happened, just that we really don’t have enough information so that at least I don’t feel ready to judge them.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 17 Dec 15:21

Rwy20 wrote:

I really don’t like calling other pilots “stupid” on forums after each and every incident or accident

No, but “and were doing training maneuvers, and got into an unrecoverable spin”. Something is very stupid about this regardless.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I agree. I normally don’t call other pilots stupid (only myself, if that is ok) … but there was a CFI on board, and if such an accident happens with a CFI on board then I would say the CFI must have either a) have been a beginner himself or, well, b) stupid (he might still be a nice guy though :-))

You don’t go into a spin with an SR20 because a “stall went wrong”. It will only go into a spin if you really force it.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 17 Dec 15:00

I really don’t like calling other pilots “stupid” on forums after each and every incident or accident. Not every student pilot is born with a natural ability to fly perfectly, and every human makes a mistake from time to time. And even though the instructor is paid to prevent such things, I can imagine situations where a stall exercise can go wrong without the instructor being able to recover in time, even without him or her being “stupid”.

Let’s wait for the report. Hard to believe somebody might be that stupid … I stalled my SR22 in 45 degree turns (with the ball centered though ;-)) … and it was harmless. I wonder what some people try to prove … (that you can destroy an airplane?)

61 Posts
Sign in to add your message