Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PRNAV and PBN

I am very sure you don't need an EHSI or any other auto-slewing course pointer product, or any EFIS product.

AFAIK PRNAV approval doesn't need an autopilot either!

TGL10 seems to remain the most recent authority but it is now very old and everybody has had a go at chewing it.

You are right that any moving map GPS should meet the requirement (that is what TGL10 says, after all) but PRNAV does remain a Major mod under EASA, and similarly nontrivial (though for different reasons - the lack of co-operation from the NY IFU for the PRNAV LoAs) for an N-reg.

Not just any GPS can get the PRNAV LoA. For example my KLN94 cannot, so I can never get PRNAV approval, even though I have a Sandel SN3500 EHSI with course pointer auto slew (effectively, roll steering).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It looks like I need 8.33kHz soon, and my GPS is rather old (Trimble Approach 2000) and not approach approved, so I'm looking at doing it all in one go.

PRNAV does remain a Major mod under EASA

Even with the Garmin GTN's under the AML STC?

LSZK, Switzerland

8.33 is an issue for many people - I suspect almost everybody who doesn't have a GNS or GTN box...

GPS/RNAV approach approval is definitely worth having. I even organised mine for my KLN94. LPV is some way down the road in terms of operational relevance (for me, anyway) and anyway the KLN94 doesn't do LPV.

Correct - a GTN box comes with an AML STC and a ready made AFMS which deals with PRNAV. I don't know what the actual paperwork is, but if the EASA AML STC is anything like the FAA AML STC then you just fill in the paperwork and send it off somewhere.

This might also be of interest.

Administrator

I received a mail from a FOCA airworthiness inspector that the GTN EASA AML STC covers PRNAV. An auto-slaving course pointer is not required, but they would recommend to install one. An EASA minor change is needed.

LSZK, Switzerland

I've just read that PRNAV is expected to be introduced to some TMAs (which for us basically means a lot of enroute airspace) in 2020. But much remains unclear.

Administrator

Glad I got my LoA done then...Want to be able to use it in anger someday.

EGTK Oxford

I've just read that PRNAV is expected to be introduced to some TMAs (which for us basically means a lot of enroute airspace) in 2020

Well, to be precise, P-RNAV has already been "introduced" in various TMAs several years ago, especially in the scandinavian countries. The question is when it will become mandatory for IFR ops (I guess this is what you intended to say).

As just one of many examples, Kristiansand-Kjevik (ENCN) has only P-NAV arrivals and departures. On departure, non P-RNAV aircraft can fly the "omnidirectional departure procedure".

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

PRNAV SIDs/STARs have been around for years, and airports whose published SIDs/STARs are all PRNAV likewise.

But this doesn't matter because the airports simply ignore this. Most of them say as much in the airport info.

What I was talking about is PRNAV airspace. They call it "TMAs" to make it sound less bad, but these huge areas are enroute airspace for most IFR GA transiting that part of the country. For example totally avoiding the Frankfurt TMA would be a detour into southern Germany.

Obviously, whether they will make the TMAs PRNAV-optional will be crucial. They might have to do the same as they do on the terminal procedures because most planes, even most jets, will not be PRNAV even by 2020. Also there will be no way to tell whether a transiting aircraft has the paperwork. On the flight plan, everybody will just state PBN/D2 or whatever.

Administrator

Starting October 1st, HB registry requires RNAV APCH training / authorization also for private Ops. RNAV APCH authorization apparently also covers PRNAV authorization.

Costs range from approx. 500CHF (US$) (Motorfluggruppe Zürich, self study theory, written theory test, 2 approaches with an FNPT II simulator) to 1390CHF (Horizon SFA; 890CHF for the theory alone)

Looks like a job creation scheme; I just hope the theory questions make more sense than the GPS questions of the IR theory test, which were either useless (why should you know the exact orbital parameters of GPS satellites? It's unlikely you'll ever have to negotiate a lauch contract) or outright wrong (why Glonass couldn't be used in aviation). Chances are not bad, actually, since apparently the FTO creates the questions, not EASA.

The details can be found here

LSZK, Switzerland

OMG! Talk about gold plating...

As usual, national CAAs refer to some EASA directive and then think they have to create these burocratic monsters.

BTW, my understanding that this applies not to HB-reg., but to swiss licesnsed pilots (and foreign licensed pilots when flying in Switzerland).

Germany has mandated a qualification for RNAV approaches almost 15 years ago (NfL 120/99) but this not really enforced (also because the rules are written in a much more pagmatic way).

Looks like this Swiss don't even want to grandfather people who have lots of experience flying these approaches...the "Exception" paragraph at the end of the document sounds awful...

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message