Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PRNAV and PBN

This document, which I don't really understand, is said to state that the UK CAA has exempted G-reg aircraft in Europe, and all aircraft in UK airspace, from requiring the crew training for PRNAV.

And it is a clear fact that no crew training is needed for GPS/RNAV approaches in the UK. I don't know about LPV but I have not heard anything about that needing training either.

BRNAV (enroute RNP 5 stuff) has never required crew training in Europe AFAIK.

In the end this will either be ignored, or it will be another "business support package" for firms offering courses.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am trying to concentrate all PRNAV related stuff under this thread – otherwise we end up with same stuff posted all over the place. For example the stuff about the Swiss mandating training for GPS approaches was already posted 3 posts above this one, back in August And you all know my memory is crap…

I think it will be a good idea to concentrate all known stuff on PRNAV (and LPV) into one guidance document. It’s obvious it won’t be trivial because of national variations – like this Swiss thing.

One fairly sure bit of info, for N-regs, is that the FAA LoA is still required for the aircraft, and it is very hard to get (of the order of 1 year) because the NY IFU is working very slowly. I am trying to find out if there is a crew training requirement for pilots flying in Europe.

It does look like this is a huge problem for N-regs, but at the same time this long delay (which cannot be shortened by throwing money at it) is working for us, because it means most Europe-based N-reg business jets will be in the same boat, and will kick up a huge stink if PRNAV was to come in.

Can everyone please contribute any local knowledge here.

Last Edited by Peter at 20 Nov 15:42
Administrator

I have just sent off various documents to the FAA requesting a P-RNAV Letter of Authorisation (LoA) from them. It was sent last week so “watch this space”.

Included in the documents were:

King schools P-RNAV course completion certificate for myself and copy of the logbook entry
Garmins GNS430W P-RNAV statement of capability
The STCs and 337’s associated with the avionics fit in my aircraft (2*GNS430W, G500 etc)
POH supplement covering P-RNAV operations
Letter to the FAA requesting the P-RNAV LoA for my aircraft flown by me with a description of the avionics fit.

I’m doing this from memory. I’ll look through later to see if I’ve included everything I sent.

I have to say I’m not confident this is exactly right so I’m expecting either a knock back or more hopefully if anything is missing a description of what else they need.

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man

Plus…….just remembered:

P-RNAV checklist

Letter of P-RNAV compliance

I now have more info…

Nothing has changed in AC90-96A since it was published 2005. So the FAA LoA is still required.

The King Schools online course is accepted, and there are various big commercial schools like CAE and FlightSafety that run courses. Cost is of the order of $250.

There used to be a UK pilot who was an FAA CFII/ATP who used to run an RNAV course but his course manual and instructor sign-off are apparently not accepted any more for the crew training portion. That was news to me, as I believe a few people followed that route. I don’t know if any of those got the LoA.

Letter of P-RNAV compliance

What was that?

Last Edited by Peter at 20 Nov 18:50
Administrator

STOLMan all sounds right but will take ages. If Peter can send me your name I will put in a good word with the guy I know there to see if it helps. But don’t hold your breath.

EGTK Oxford

The P-RNAV letter of compliance simply states that AC90-96A is complied with listing why. It could be part of the LoA request letter but the applications that have been successful keep it separate.

As I understand it, The LoA is not just for the Aircraft it’s for specific pilots flying the aircraft. It’s the pilot(s) and the aircraft that is approved.

If Peter can send me your name

We have private messaging now

See the IT/Website section.

The LoA is not just for the Aircraft it’s for specific pilots flying the aircraft. It’s the pilot(s) and the aircraft that is approved

A pity Kafka is dead – he could have applied for the job of integrating the databases so that non PRNAV aircraft or crew could be automatically shot down. I am sure Eurocontrol is already working on a way to interrogate the PRNAV crew status while airborne. I am sure it can be done with some body-worn ID tags and 1090ES.

Last Edited by Peter at 20 Nov 19:14
Administrator

The LoA is for the operator which also lists pilots.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC, thanks very much for your offer. Cannot find the private messaging so:

[see next post]

Last Edited by Peter at 20 Nov 19:51
Sign in to add your message