Welcome to our forums

PRNAV and PBN

Cannot find the private messaging

Click on these and you see the person’s profile

STOLman – I have edited your post, in case you prefer that after all

Last Edited by Peter at 20 Nov 19:52
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s fine Peter, thanks you. Now I’ve realised its better to Log in to the site then all is revealed!!!!

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man

We have probably been here before, but FAA AC90-96A, updated c. 2011, is here

If I read it correctly, the requirement for the FAA FSDO issued LoA is on page 14

This suggests that even if you have a GPS whose AFM approves PRNAV the FAA LoA is still required.

Only BRNAV/RNAV5 is exempted from the FSDO involvement, as per page 7 of the PDF.

AC 90-96A covers approval of PRNAV and BRNAV in European airspace on N registered aircraft, but since most US pilots only fly in US airspace, this doesn’t apply to them, which explains why most US pilots aren’t aware of the AC’s existence, or indeed of the whole PRNAV business! I can see why some people here want to move to the USA

Last Edited by Peter at 25 Dec 11:17
Administrator

I have written to the person responsible at NATS UK to ask about what is planned, but thus far have not received any reply – as was the case on previous occasions.

It’s possible they don’t want to discuss it because it is such a hot topic for GA, all the way up to bizjets.

Administrator

Peter, did you email someone or send a letter?
A letter is much harder to ignore…

EGTT, The London FIR

Email… a good point.

Administrator

Your email from Sunday got passed on to the CAA PBN expert, within whose remit falls any possible mandate in the London TMA. He will reply in due course, and I’ve been with him at the EASA PBN workshop on Tue/Wed. He’s now in an ICAO PBN thing on Thu/Fri, so you may have to wait until next week for a reply.

I took the opportunity to discuss the plans with him. The scope of any mandate (i.e. is it airspace-based or airport-based, and if so which airports?) will be the subject of a consultation. We’ll all have to await the results of that consultation to know what will come in to force. All I would say is that unless I were operating into the major airports (LL, KK, SS, GW, LC), I wouldn’t spend a lot of money just to satisfy an RNAV 1 requirement yet.

That was fast work, bookworm Many thanks for chasing it up.

Your view confirms mine. So that leaves just LPV and LNAV+V GPS approaches as the main drivers of “big” expenditure for the foreseeable future.

Administrator

I’ve had a response but it isn’t authorised for publication as they prefer to deal with already-established GA representatives.

I will see what I can get from them – EuroGA is obviously a highly relevant place today, with 500+ people reading it every day.

It doesn’t look like there is anything just around the corner and probably nothing is going to start to happen before 2017.

Administrator

This is a revisit of this old topic…

In the UK, the CAA has authorised private pilots to self certify PRNAV compliance.

I don’t know how the rest of Europe has handled this. Any other CAAs are allowing self certification i.e. no national CAA approval is required?

The FAA’s position is that an N-reg aircraft flying in Europe needs the FAA LoA (letter of authorisation) approval. Unfortunately this is supposedly issued by the NY IFU and they are not interested in doing it anymore. They were always difficult about it. One very early UK based pilot got PRNAV from them by practically burying them under paperwork showing how amazingly equipped his aircraft was and how much training he had, but later applicants had a harder time, and most recently a 1 year wait has been reported.

The more basic question is how could a say UK-based N-reg pilot be prosecuted for declaring PBN/D2 or whatever (on a flight plan) for flying without the FAA LoA, when the UK no longer cares about exactly this for a G-reg. Any half clever lawyer would make the CAA look ridiculous.

That leaves the usual “have I got valid insurance” question but that seems even thinner.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message