Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Procedure to obtain a BZF for EASA PPL holders (flying into German-only fields)

Hi all,
This is just a big FYI for whoever is interested in this topic.
I hold a French PPL and I want to obtain the BZF, to be able to land at “German-only” fields, so I got in contact with the German telecommunications agency (Bundesnetzagentur) to hear what the procedure would be for me. According to their website, it is possible to go through a “simplified test” if one is already a pilot, but there are not a lot of details online.

The standard process to earn the certificate would be:

• theoretical test with multiple-choice questions about flight and communication theory (overlapping with PPL theoretical test)
  • practical test where one does a mock flight and has to communicate in German in a roleplay kind of situation

After sending an email Sunday evening I was expecting to receive an answer in a few weeks, being used to communicate with the French authorities. To my delight, a friendly lady answered me this morning (Monday) at 6:20 am (!!!)

As it turns out, holders of an EASA licence are entitled to the simplified test so we do not need to take the multiple-choice test. Additionally, holders of an FCL.055 will obtain by default the BZF I (officially allowing you to speak English on the radio too, although this is redundant as the FCL.055 is enough).

I don’t know if UK licences would be recognised in the same way but my guess is they would. There seems to be no standard framework.

As far as I am concerned, I think I will practice a bit with the simulator offered by DFS watch some youtube videos, and then give it a go. It doesn’t seem too complicated if you are decently familiar with the language.

The correct application, in this case, is the one according to paragraph 14 of the Verordnung über Flugfunkzeugnisse

Last Edited by Seba at 14 Feb 14:20
LFST, France

Thanks @Seba for the information and links. Very useful information for anyone interested.

Having said that, this requirement is a good example of why EASA can’t make flying in Europe as easy as in the US. If every EU country imposed this type of restriction for using local language only airfields, the number of airfields open to international pilots would drop dramatically.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

If every EU country imposed this type of restriction for using local language only airfields, the number of airfields open to international pilots would drop dramatically.

Yes, this is a classic example of the German need for redundant bureaucracy and over-regulation. It is my hope that the new more progressive administration will invert this tendency though as always GA is very close to the bottom of the priority list so I am not holding my breath.

LFST, France

Seba wrote:

Additionally, holders of an FCL.055 will obtain by default the BZF I (officially allowing you to speak English on the radio too, although this is redundant as the FCL.055 is enough).
After the simplified German test you’ll get the BZF 1, I guess? Many Germans think BZF 1 is English and BZF 2 is German, but that isn’t the case. BZF 1 is indeed English and German combined. An English-only certificate is called BZF E and I do think that people with an EASA-FCL might get a BZF E for free without any test and a BZF 1 after this simplified German test.

I’m very interested in your feedback regarding the test. Normally, they will just do a simulated departure and arrival on a controlled airport (Ground + Tower), as roleplay with an air traffic controller. The test doesn’t include radio communications at uncontrolled airfields nor with FIS/Approach/Radar positions.

Since I’ve transferred my license to Switzerland, the Swiss CAA added “German” as RTF Language into my PPL as well, as I had the BZF 1 before. Maybe French CAA might also add “German” into your license, if you send them a copy of your BZF 1?!
Switzerland

How is BZF2 rule to fly to “German only” airfields enforced?

Let’s say a native German who holds FAA & Danish CAA papers and know how to use a radio but does not have BZF2

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Feb 18:23
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

How is BZF2 rule to fly to “German only” airfields enforced?

I think it’s been established in various threads that it’s rarely a problem but it can happen that someone checks your licence. In that case you can get in some sort of trouble without a BZF (although it would probably only be an administrative sanction for operating a radio without licence).

Last Edited by Seba at 14 Feb 19:55
LFST, France

Frans wrote:

I’m very interested in your feedback regarding the test.

Will report

Frans wrote:

Maybe French CAA might also add “German” into your license, if you send them a copy of your BZF 1?!

Probably, but I would have no advantage in doing that, and to preserve my mental well-being I try to keep communication with DGAC to a minimum.

Frans wrote:

After the simplified German test you’ll get the BZF 1, I guess?

Yes, maybe it wasn’t clear from my post. Essentially with this simplified procedure, if you have the FCL.055 you get a BZF I (they use roman numerals), if you don’t have it, you get a BZF II.

Last Edited by Seba at 14 Feb 19:54
LFST, France

chflyer wrote:

Having said that, this requirement is a good example of why EASA can’t make flying in Europe as easy as in the US. If every EU country imposed this type of restriction for using local language only airfields, the number of airfields open to international pilots would drop dramatically.

It’s actually the very same restriction in the US. Actually all airfields in the US I’ve ever seen are “local language only” airfields.

It just by chance happens to be the fact, that international pilots entering the US are more willing to learn/speak US local language than intgernational pilots entering France, Sweden or Germany.

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

It just by chance happens to be the fact, that international pilots entering the US are more willing to learn/speak US local language than intgernational pilots entering France, Sweden or Germany.

It also happens that Sweden doesn’t have any “Swedish only” airfields.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Malibuflyer wrote:

It’s actually the very same restriction in the US. Actually all airfields in the US I’ve ever seen are “local language only” airfields.

Come on, whether we like it or not, English is the international language and especially the language of aviation. Yes, this is an advantage for English-speaking countries but at some point, we will have to accept this and get over it.

LFST, France
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message