Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Project Propeller 2016

Below is the text of an e-mail that is chugging out of my outbox now. I’m getting the “too many messages” error notification from my ISP, so it might be some while before this pops up in your inbox. Last night’s communique took 8 hours to clear.

Anyway, here you go with your landing slots. Be gentle with me, please.

“Dear Pilot

Landing slots

Please find attached a link to the landing slots for Leeds East.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_AlF7Jw4U3KLXF5TFc1c1BpT1dMSE9yV1dreG9YUks4b3Jr/view?usp=drivesdk

The additional flight time necessitated by the change in venue means extra flying time for those inbound from the South, which represents the majority of our attendees.

I do recognise that I am asking a lot of some people, however, I’d ask you to please explore any and all avenues before you approach me with a request for a change. Whilst I am content with the progress of the logistics at Leeds East, a vast amount of work remains to be done to make sure everything is covered off properly.

If a landing slot is apparently “vacant”, please don’t make a bid for it – there are still some gaps in the roster that remain to be filled. They are being held back for a reason. In short, please try to deal with the difficult, only approach me with the impossible!

If you can make a slot time earlier than the one assigned to you, please let me know, including the earliest slot that you would be able to hit, bearing in mind that veterans must not be rushed.

The departure slot system, mentioned in previous e-mails, will be retained; in essence, “early in” equals “early out”.

Fuel at Leeds East

I can confirm that Avgas will be available (via bowser) and Jet Fuel (at pumps). You are encouraged to uplift fuel at Leeds East if possible; they have undertaken to have the bowser checked and serviced prior to 4 June. As a reminder, waivers are in place at various en route airfields (Leicester, Sywell, Conington, Gloucester).

As ever, if you have any queries concerning the above, please do let me know."

Last Edited by Grim_Reaper at 25 May 21:07

Owing to an aircraft withdrawal, the entire contingent from the Isle of Wight is now without an allocated flight on 4th June. :pale:

The details are as follows:

ATA transport pilot + companion
Dakota Navigator + companion
Lancaster Gunner
Lancaster Navigator

So 4 veterans and 2 companions in total. I’m currently establishing whether the companions could stand down if necessary.

I’ve established that there is no resource available on the island.

If anyone has any ideas on how to plug this gap, please do fire them at me. Ideally, a large aircraft to go over and sweep up the lot would be ideal, but I’m desperate, and will listen to any suggestions.

EDIT: Also needed, 4 seat aircraft to pick up Lancaster flight engineer + companion from Biggin. High wing or low wing a/c both OK

Sounds like you need somebody with a King Air, TBM or a PC12 to take them all…

The problem is that (from the Wickenby website) you have

and those are short runways. Frankly, you need a very competent pilot – even if the POH performance says it “should work”. And some will be rightly nervous if they are flying the typical rental spamcan which has 25% of it’s camshaft in the oil filter

A KA can do 500m (as can a TBM or a PC12) but also only if the pilot knows what he’s doing.

Also it appears that parking will be on grass which narrows the suitable types further

We struggle with this stuff here too, on the EuroGA fly-ins. When people discover they have to park on grass, a bunch drop out, and I probably would too if the parking arrangement requires taxi on an unknown surface under power.

I recall one pilot I used to know, with a Cessna 421C, who got totally stuck on a PP flight (no idea where) and had to be pulled out with a fire engine.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, it isn’t going to Wickenby any more, Leeds East. Runway length not a problem.

EGTK Oxford

Biggin Hill gap in the roster now sorted. Isle of Wight still unresolved.

Still hunting a solution for the Isle of Wight – please spread the word, put on your thinking caps, if you’ve not already done so.

I now have absolutely no spare 4 seat resource around London – if you know of anyone who might be available, please point them my way. Experience suggests that it’s more likely than not that aircraft will drop out between now and then. I’ve already been notified of a Denham based aircraft stuck in France, which may not be back in time.

Finally, I’m still getting e-mails and calls from veterans asking when they need to be at the airfield, where they need to meet the pilot, etc. PLEASE speak to your guests now if you’ve not already done so!

Thanks for your help.

The joining instructions for Project Propeller at Leeds East can be downloaded at:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_AlF7Jw4U3KblhEcGo0LTlPa1VRNDhZcGVfVzlyRF80SjNN/view?pref=2&pli=1

I will mail these to each individual pilot shortly.

Last Edited by Grim_Reaper at 01 Jun 20:52

Thanks Graham,

One question, in the interest of freeing the tarmac runway tor aeroplanes which need it: is 06L/24R (the grass runway) available on request?

ATB, Peter

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko,

As one of the two pilots who wrote the instructions, my understanding is that there is no intention to use the grass. You can expect heavy hints to suggest that no-one is monitoring the application of Rule 10, though.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Confirmed programme of events below:

10-30 onwards: Musical entertainment (Heather Marie/RAF Salon Orchestra)
12-15: Welcome address (Ian Burnstock, PP / Chris Makins, Leeds East Airport)
12-45: Queens Colour Squadron drill display
13-35: BBMF Hurricane flypast (weather dependent)

In addition to the above:

A 1931 Lagonda car will be on site for photoshoots
Static display of model Lancaster and Halifax bombers – the latter will fly, subject to ATC approval
A large print for veterans to sign

Any questions, please shout.

Sign in to add your message