Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Project Propeller 2017

I am pleased to confirm details of the 2017 event, which will be held on SUNDAY 25th JUNE 2017, and will see a return to Gloucester, which hosted the event in 2014.

In selecting a venue, our “wish list” was for somewhere that had ATC and instrument landing capability, sufficient space for the large number of participant aircraft, good road links in the case of inclement weather, and, ideally, a facility that would be of interest to veterans and guests.

In my view, Gloucester ticks all of those boxes, and from a personal perspective, I am delighted to be working with Darren Lewington again, who did such a marvellous job in 2014.

In the next week, I hope to despatch invitations to veterans. Volunteer pilots can register here: http://www.projectpropeller.co.uk/p/registration-pilot.html

If you are a regular PP pilot, and no details have changed, you can just drop me an e-mail: Graham[AT]ProjectPropeller.co.uk to confirm that you are able to participate. I will then roll all your details forward. As ever, if you have a regular veteran passenger, I will not disturb this.

Let’s hope that the fates smile upon the 2017 event more kindly….

Last Edited by Grim_Reaper at 19 Nov 11:47

I’ve now commenced the rostering exercise, picking off the established pairings first.

The current position is that we have 164 acceptances from veterans, 43% of whom have now been rostered to their pilots for the day. I’m currently contacting pilots who haven’t yet registered, but whose regular veterans have – if they are unable to fly, I will then assign the passenger elsewhere.

Now that I’ve commenced the exercise, if anybody wants an update on likely prospects, I’m happy to be called – the number is on the bottom of all my e-mails.

Good afternoon everybody

There are just over three weeks to run until the event, and everything is proceeding smoothly from a planning perspective. As far as airside matters are concerned, we have 172 veterans due to attend, all but one of which has been allocated to a pilot. The unallocated veteran is in Newcastle, but I am currently exploring an option that might sort him out.

I had hoped to be able to release joining instructions, but they’ve been held up owing to pressure of work at Gloucester (no criticism implied or intended). However, I am conscious that pilots want to begin planning flights and communicating timings with their veterans, so I am now in a position to release the draft landing slots. You can see the spreadsheet here:

Landing slots 2017

As ever, it’s been a difficult exercise to complete, but I’ve tried to be as sympathetic as I can bearing in mind airfield opening times and distances to travel. I would like to hear from you if:

1. You absolutely cannot make your assigned slot for operational reasons. 2. You have a very strong preference and reason for needing a change 3. If you are able to arrive in one of the first two landing slots, and are not currently allocated there

I will do the best I can, but do bear in mind that every change produces a knock-on effect.

You will see that I have assigned a slot to slower speed aircraft; there are not enough aircraft to fill this slot to capacity, so if you are in this slot, and not flying a “slow” aircraft, please be aware that the other traffic around you at that time may have a slower cruise speed and moderate yours accordingly.

There are two “fast” landing slots in the middle of the morning, so please also be aware if you are in the circuit close to these times

Loose departure slots will also be in operation to ensure that we don’t have long queues forming. Your arrival slot also becomes your departure slot.

If you have not advised that you are in touch with your veteran (83 pilots in this category!) could you please get in touch with them soon, and drop me a line to confirm.

If you have any queries at all, please drop me a line.

Graham

Thanks for all your hard work as ever Graham. It looks to be a good event. Let’s hope the weather is kind to us this year!

UK, United Kingdom

Good morning everybody

I am now able to release the joining instructions for the Project Propeller event. You can view these by clicking on the attached link:

Joining Instructions

For the safety of all guests arriving by air, please ensure that you are familiar with the contents of these instructions, and follow the protocols for the day. This will ensure a safe and enjoyable day for everybody.

You have already been issued with an arrival slot time – please click on the attached link if you need a reminder:

Landing Slots

Poor weather

The event will proceed irrespective of poor weather. If you are unable to fly on the day, and both you and your veteran are happy to drive, you should be aware of the following:

• The event will be held adjacent to the Jet Age Museum – the postcode for your SatNav devices is GL2 9QL.

• There will be ample parking available – the precise procedures to be deployed on the day are dependent upon the state of the ground immediately adjacent to the marquee; you will be directed appropriately upon arrival.

• Please display a car parking pass in your vehicle – click on the attached link: Car Park pass

Guest Passes

Please ensure that you and any non-veteran guests are carrying a guest pass:

Guest Pass?

It is not necessary for veterans to carry a guest pass.

Catering

This year, we will be deploying a new system of catering, designed to keep our veteran guests comfortably seated. A selection of sandwiches, sausage rolls and cakes will be served at table by a contingent of Air Cadets. The Cadets are not allowed to handle any hot drinks, so please assist your veteran guests by collecting their drinks from the service area.

Grub Street Publishing

The above company will be present on the day, offering a selection of aviation based books. Project Propeller will receive a proportion of any sales, so if you’re looking to pick up something to read, this is a good chance!

Portrait Photography

Immediately adjacent to the registration desk, there will be a chance for you to have a souvenir photograph taken with your guest(s). Specially priced copies will be available for purchase afterwards.

General updates

I will be posting general updates on the Flyer magazine and EuroGA forums.

If you have any questions, please do get in touch – I’ll answer them to the best ability of a 100 hour, lapsed PPL pilot…. :D

Regards

Graham

Last Edited by Grim_Reaper at 14 Jun 09:01

Good evening everybody, this is my final posting before I transfer to Gloucester early tomorrow morning.

At present, everybody on the roster is covered, and we are expecting 161 veteran guests. There are 120 aircraft inbound, so please do fly safely, and make sure you’re fully familiar with the Pilot’s notes.

On arrival, you’ll have Motor Transport from the Flight Line – veterans who have requested wheelchairs will be assigned them upon arrival at the marquee – they will all have name tags on them.

At the Registration Desk, they’ll sign in and be relieved of a tenner (sigh!). Toilets will be clearly signposted. You can then pick up a welcome leaflet, and have your photograph taken with your guests. I’d also encourage you to ask your veteran to sign the large print, which will be on an easel near to the entrance – we’ll raffle this off to raise funds later in the year.

Food will be brought to table by Air Cadets, but they are not to handle hot drinks – please assist your veterans with this. Our aim is to keep veterans off their feet as much as possible.

On the way out, there will be a bottle of Lancaster beer for each veteran and pilot. Please ensure that companions don’t help themselves, or we will run out!

I’ll be picking up e-mail periodically, but your best bet to reach me from now until Sunday is on the mobile – you’ll find the number at the foot of all my e-mails.

Be safe everybody, I look forward to seeing you on Sunday

Nice report about the event in today’s Telegraph.

…and I guess that when Flt Sgt Galloway told the reporter that our flight from Prestwick was “peaceful, but a bit cramped”, he meant that (a) nobody seemed to be shooting at us (even over the Lake District) and (b) a Maule is a tad cosier than a Lancaster. Fair comment, I suppose.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message