Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prop strike (merged)

I’ll forward that to MT … new customer!

I would not judge him and his reaction. The strip was very short and this must have been a shock — who knows what each of us would have done in such a moment? We are after all trained to go around when something is not right. Might not be enough time to think.

+1

Can re re-classify it as a homebuilt/experimental and just hammer the props back into shape?

Bordeaux

Have seen this happening twice in real life in both situations pilot made a go around after the prop hit the runway and was quite damaged.
I think it is easy to judge while not in that aircraft.

Last Edited by Jesse at 19 Apr 19:31
JP-Avionics
EHMZ

It was in Florida somewhere, at a private residential strip. Apparently he flew back to Ft Lauderdale and landed there. I’m surprised the gear doors opened – the hinges are right at the bottom.

Two accidents spring to mind, I think, both involving prop strike in a late gear-up go-around after which a prop blade separated, and then the airplane went out of control.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I would not judge him and his reaction. The strip was very short and this must have been a shock — who knows what each of us would have done in such a moment? We are after all trained to go around when something is not right. Might not be enough time to think.`

Come on… He was dragging his aircraft along the ground. It wasn’t a prop strike he didn’t notice. Complete stupidity to takeoff again.

While I agree we should be careful to judge other pilots, there are some situations when it is just obvious and they deserve it. This is one.

Last Edited by JasonC at 20 Apr 04:28
EGTK Oxford

Last year there was a similar accident with a DA42, which was flying with half gone props:

I was told the other day by an owner that no longer is the clutch+gearbox on the geared diesels regarded as sufficient to avoid a shock load inspection, in the case of a prop strike. Does anybody have the current info on this? It would not surprise me…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I wouldn’t think that anything changes there. The Centurions are directly connected (i.e. props cannot be decoupled) but the clutch is there to absorb the very strong diesel power pulses and it is setup to slip at a certain force. The “shock” requiring a shock load inspection is nothing but a force above the threshold which means the clutch will slip.

I can’t see how that would ever transmit a shock to the crankshaft that would mandate an engine teardown.

I wonder whether there was any damage to the runway?

Sign in to add your message