Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Propeller overhaul (merged)

It will depend on the type of the prop and if you have prop deice etc. but as a very rough guideline I would expect between 4000 and 5000 Euro plus VAT. I suggest you call MT Propeller. Mr Sell should be able to give you the exact price on the phone: http://www.mt-propeller.com
If it is a metal prop delay that overhaul as long as you can. They grind down the metal on each overhaul and after maybe three times your blades will be below minimum dimensions and it gets very expensive…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

4000€
Got a fixed price for a McCauley 3 blade from 2 different providers in Germany.(MT was one of them)
Read Fixed as in no damage found and everything within limits

spirit49
LOIH

Maybe first try to find out if you really have to overhaul it? The 6 year manufacturer limit makes absolutely no sense. Germany has had no time limits on privately operated propellers for more than 40 years and without any statistically significant problems.

Where is the plane in question registered ?

I would not overhaul on 5 years/600 hours unless there is some apparent distress, or local regs require it .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Thanks for info and advice.

The plane is on a UK G reg, and it’s a McCauley Blade B3D36C431/80VSA-1.

Looking at the prop, it does have some minor wear on the edges of the blade, but never chipped or banged anyway.

I will give MT a call and see what they say. It is ridiculous this 5 year Overhaul thing. More money into the water.

Evo400

Just for info MT came back to me with price of 2950+ 19%Vat for the price of the complete overhaul. Not bad, they seem very efficient in comparison to some other providers that don’t even bother to reply back..

They also offered storage on maintenance site , removal of the prop and fitting all for above price!. Turn around 1 to 2 weeks max.

We’ll see what Brinkley has to say. All things to consider now, shipping, flights, etc see what works out the best.

Thanks

Evo400

@Evo400
You might also give Ian a call at General Aero Services, Thurrock (EGMT). The exchange rate is against them for you, but I’ve always had good service and honest advice. They won’t take money from you just because you’re an aircraft owner.

They might even do it while you wait…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

achimha wrote:

Germany has had no time limits on privately operated propellers for more than 40 years and without any statistically significant problems.

That is the big difference. UK has a history of broken hubs from a well known UK manufacturer (Dowty) and therefore implemented rules.
Another proof of the superior workmanship here.

United Kingdom

Hi Folks

Before I jump into a long email exchanges btw me and the OVH facilities in Europe, can somebody give me an input about the basic cost of a non-deiced 3 blade Hartzell OVH cost? My runs out of the 72 month calendar limit. Time wise the prop has very low hours, but and MT Prop gave me a nice offer. I just want to know, if is wise operate in private without OVH, OVH it, or change to an MT Prop.Of course, the the cheapest not always the best solution.

Thanks for your feedback

Zsolt

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

I’ve just paid about 3.5k for mine, here. An excellent company.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message