Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Propeller overhaul (merged)

I’d not overhaul a propeller that I am not obliged to overhaul. Aluminum props don’t really have a failure record after TBO (look at the average age of those props in the US or Germany where overhaul is optional). The post TBO inspections are simple and mostly about measuring the dimensions of the blades and checking the root for leakage. There is no problem operating a 20+ year old prop and governor.

If you have to do something and got an attractive offer to switch to MT, I would do that as those props have significant advantages: weight and unlimited repair/overhaul capability.

Thanks

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

Any suggestions where to do Hartzell constant speed prop overhaul or IRAN maintenance in Europe? I’m based in Estonia, so the easiest would be somewhere in Scandinavia, Germany or close to it. I guess at least for overhaul it needs to be a Hartzell certified place? Not sure about IRAN maintenance?

Hub HC-C2YR-4AF. The last official O/H was done in 2004, after that, it has always been as I understand done on a less official IRAN maintenance basis I/AW manual, last in 2015. It’s more of a low hours, long calendar time prop, so I would assume a IRAN maintenance would make more sense.

The plane is on a FAA N-reg, so not on EASA schedule.

Besides suggestions for shops, any ideas how much the overhaul or maintenance might cost these times?

JK
EERA EETU EETN

General Aero Services in Essex would do a strip, reseal, dress blades and repaint. If that’s all you need.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

What is broken? Why do you need take it off?

achimha: I’d definitely like to get it re-balanced one day. But with the aerobatics load it gets, I feel it would be great for someone to have a look at it at one point. Plus I am toying with the idea of moving the aircraft to EASA register, and for that I would need the maintenance done on an EASA schedule, which I don’t think the last 2004 O/H satisfies.

WilliamF: Thanks. UK probably is the hardest place to transport it to :)

JK
EERA EETU EETN

Here’s the advice I got (from a German) for my Hartzell:

MT Propeller (Mühlbauer) in Germany not only designs/makes their own props, but also overhauls other brands, including Hartzell.

Hoffman, still in Germany, also overhauls Hartzell props.

ELLX

@JK if you want to balance it, you need to bring both the propeller and the aircraft to the shop. My recommendation would be MT (Mühlbauer). They are very friendly and the most competent in Europe I’d say as they manufacture most propellers of newer GA aircraft designs and also have a large Part 145 operation.

@lionel @achimha Thanks!

JK
EERA EETU EETN

For Germany, you could also give Röder a call….

EDL*, Germany
Sign in to add your message