Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"QSR", I think...

Can someone explain what this is, if I’ve got it right? I was happy trundling along at the weekend talking to Farnborough when, out of the blue, they instructed me to squawk 7000, saying something about it being “QSR”, I think. I asked to confirm if that meant that service had terminated, and they confirmed, but without providing any of the usual helpful info, or suggestions of alternative frequencies etc. I’ve tried Googling it but can’t find anything. Is it a heavy workload restriction? It was busy but not as crazy busy as it has been on other occasions…

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

It’s UK ATC speak for ‘f*ck it, let’s go to the pub and have a beer’ ;-))

QSY perhaps?
An obsolete term for frequency change I believe.

strip near EGGW

Although 172driver has a better suggestion.

strip near EGGW

Yes it was probably the usual “QSY en route” i.e. “goodbye, and take care of yourself with another unit”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It appears to me that the code is less understandable than plain English (true in my opinion with any Q-code), self evidently easily misunderstood, and that the motivation for its use is for ATC to sound clever. Is there any other reason to use 1913 Morse code technology to talk on the radio in 2018?

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Jun 19:50

QSR according to Wikipedia: “Shall I repeat the call on the calling frequency?” or “Repeat your call on the calling frequency; did not hear you (or have interference).” I almost want to memorise the most obscure ones to use in retaliation.

Edit
I hadn’t seen @Silvaire had already linked to Wikipedia
Asking QRC sounds fun

Last Edited by Capitaine at 04 Jun 21:23
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Using Q code on RT is not something I would regard as useful these days. Unless you get a pilot who is also a HAM there are preciously few people who know it these days, maybe with the exception of QNH/QFE/QNE…

I used some while still doing CB radio in my teens but even there I only used very few. Morse code is something quite outdated.

QSR would probably have meant they did not receive the sqawk and wanted him to recycle, but it’s about as friendly as talking cockney to a new english speaker…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

UK ATC is normally excellent but yes a lot of old stuff goes on. However, go flying on any sunny weekend and you will hear “over” quite a lot from pilots, which was last heard in Battle of Britain. Then it gets more “amusing” when some pop over to N France and do the same “War and Peace” radio calls there; the ATCO usually answers as briefly as possible So I don’t think Q codes are the biggest issue…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for the explanations. QSY it must have been. Odd behaviour though from Farnborough who are usually one of the most helpful and transparent ATCs around. Maybe someone didn’t get enough sleep…

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message