Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Question re GNS 430/530 flight plan page -How does one change the default starting airport when selecting "create new flight plan"?

My GNS 530W has the wrong base airport: Every time I start a new flight plan it shows the same (incorrect) starting airport because the engineer who initially installed the device erroneously thought that my plane was based at White Waltham. It isn’t. (Moreover, the GNS device does not show the starting airport for each new flight plan as the airport that the GPS detects as the current position. That surprises me.)

Anyway, does anyone know how I can change the default starting point for a flight plan in a GNS 430/530? I can’t find the solution in the manual and it’s driving me a little crazy.

Thanks

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

There’s nothing the installing engineer can do that creates a default starting point for flight plans!

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

I do not KNOW for sure, but every time I start-up the G1000 it displays the airport I am at. So I wonder whether it uses the geolocation to determine the departure airport. I flew with a GNS430 the other day, and it seemed to the same.

LFPT, LFPN

I also thought that, like the G1000, it defaulted to the nearest airport in its database.

EGTK Oxford

OK, thanks. Then I’m very confused. I fly from EGTB and the 530w shows EGLM as the start of each fresh flight plan. The two airfields are relatively close by, but the WAAS-enabled 530 is meant to be able to discriminate to within a few feet, not get confused about ten miles! :D

I wonder what is going on. The device functions perfectly in every other respect.

Howard

Last Edited by Howard at 30 Apr 11:37

I believe that the GNS530W uses the last location prior to shut down on the previous flight for the default, because you can enter the flightplan prior to gaining a GPS position fix on the next startup and the airport is already there.

KUZA, United States

Thanks but I have flown into EGLM just once, ages ago. It seems to me that something else must be going on unless the device has a fault in this regard.

It could be error in database. Do you use latest issue of DB? Have you checked if Jeppesen released any warning on particular DB issue you use?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir, I’m one of those loonies that subscribes to the monthly(?) electronic Jeppesen data card updates. I have also seen no warnings that refer to this as an error. My mechanic (who worked with a subcontract avionics chap when the 530 was installed) thinks it is an installation issue, but perhaps he is guessing. The plane shows EGLM as the starting point wherever I am situated I think. I’m flying to Shoreham (EGKA) tomorrow and will check that.

BTW, thanks to everyone who has suggested answers so far. I felt sure that it was an installation issue (“Set home airport”) and if not (which it seems) then I remain genuinely puzzled.

Last Edited by Howard at 30 Apr 16:28

I have just searched the GNS530W IM (check your email Howard) for the word “airport” and found nothing relevant, so I doubt it is an installation feature.

Also the way to get into the installation menus is supposedly not available to the great unwashed…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message