Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Question regarding FAA piggyback licence

I am not a licensing expert, but SEP and MEP stand for Sigle Engine Piston and Multi Engine Piston. To fly a Meridian or a PC-12 you need a Single Engine Turbine rating.
And then we have single-pilot IR as well… Although when I first finished my training on my then Polish license I just had IR as an endorsement.

Germany

The distinction between piston powered and turbine powered aircraft does not exist in FAA pilot qualification, therefore your FAA pilot certificate will be similar to this one, listing non-expiring ratings on the reverse side to include for example ‘Airplane Single Engine Land’ and ‘Aircraft Multi Engine Land’

Note that as per my post above the FAA ‘based on’ certificate includes the phrase “limitations and restrictions on” not “limitations and restrictions of”. This is intentional.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 May 15:54

Alright, now I get your point. So my 737 rating may be recognised towards the accreditation of Airplane Multi Engine Land, and in this case I would just need to re-instate only my SEP.

I am starting to see why many are advocate of the FAA system. So much simpler.

Germany

ClearProp wrote:

Is it possible to take the IR written for a foreign pilot if I have an IR only valid for the 737?
I am trying to understand if I could get away with just renewing SEP and MEP without the need to do another IR renenwal.

Re IR limited to 737, what exactly does your EASA licence say?

EGTK Oxford

My licence says B737 300-900 with IR Cat CATII/III and under remarks and restrictions MP.

Germany

ClearProp wrote:

I am not a licensing expert

Neither am I, but what you must have is good understanding of the US FARs including part 61, which is what you will be subject to and prosecuted under if you breach them. Neither is the FAA an expert on other jurisdictions licensing. Nothing stopping you doing your initial certificate in a 737 as long as it is in the real thing. It is a multi engine (non centre line thrust) airplane, it is not a glider, helicopter or water based, which is what matters.

For example If you shoot an approach in IMC after 8 months without an appropriate proficiency check or meet the currency requirements then you will have broken an FAA regulation.

You won’t know for sure exactly what they will issue, I am guessing a private pilot land single and multi engine instrument rating assuming you do the written. But perhaps you will end up with private pilot multi engine only no single engine flying.

If you meet the additional requirements for pressurised turbine aircraft then you also fly the meridian, not the PC-12 as it requires a type rating. If you got a type rating you would be wise to combine it with a normal certificate, ideally the ATP.

If you fly outside of the USA, i.e. Belguim you might still be subject to some additional rules.

Last Edited by Ted at 25 May 17:32
Ted
United Kingdom

The FAA ATP is something I will consider after the I will have unfrozen my EASA ATPL and if it’s worth having since I don’t have a Green Card.

Germany

Ted wrote:

If you meet the additional requirements for pressurised turbine aircraft then you also fly the meridian, not the PC-12 as it requires a type rating. If you got a type rating you would be wise to combine it with a normal certificate, ideally the ATP.

The FAA sees these as SEL. There are no type ratings required.

EGTK Oxford

ClearProp wrote:

I would just need to re-instate only my SEP.

Possibly not even that, it will depend on what they actually issue, in combination with any specific “limitations and restrictions on ” the existing license, since I assume at some point your were issued with what the FAA would see as single engine land airplane certificate.

You might want to seek some clarification on the Multi pilot restriction this might have some effect, or perhaps it is just a remark.

Last Edited by Ted at 25 May 17:28
Ted
United Kingdom

My SEP expired in August 2018 and since then license has been printed once or twice, so at the moment the only thing listed on it is my 737 type rating.

As for the IR, I need to ask for the Belgian CAA and maybe an FAA person. I wonder now if I renew also my MEP is I would be allowed to fly IFR on a MEP in Europe. I’ll dig in the EU-FCL for that.

Germany
Sign in to add your message