Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Question regarding FAA piggyback licence

Some info here https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/9598-easa-to-faa-diary

Regarding your IR valid for 737: I understand the confusion comes from the licence entry format of the respective national authorities.

What you really have is:
- ME IR (multi engine IR)
- 737 type rating
- expired SEP class rating
- expired SE IR

Since your SE IR expired less than 7 years ago you can renew it together with your SEP class rating. Contact an ATO.

Since you have a CPL and your 737 has a multi pilot limitation, you need to get the SEP renewed because in order to do the 61.75 validation you need PIC privileges.

PM me and we can talk on the phone.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 25 May 19:34
always learning
LO__, Austria
… to build a few PIC hours since it would take too long at my current employer to log the required PICUS hours…

You might already be eligible to attempt a practical test for a US airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane single-engine land class rating owing to the different US rules on recording flight time. See 14 CFR 61.51. No lower level of US pilot certificate is required to attempt the test. An ICAO Annex 1-compliant CPL/IR is sufficient. See 14 CFR 61.153(d)(3). No training needs to be received or logged within the 60 days preceding the test and no recommendation for test is required. See 14 CFR 61.39(e).

London, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

You might already be eligible to attempt a practical test for a US airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane single-engine land class rating owing to the different US rules on recording flight time.

But this would also require the written to be completed. An SE ATP is also rather pointless.

EGTK Oxford

Highjacking the thread on class, type and variant ratings can one fly TMG variants (e.g. Grob109) on FAA61.75 does these fall under PPL+SEL privileges if the underlying EASA PPL has TMG? Or one need an FAA standalone glider certificate?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Highjacking the thread on class, type and variant ratings can one fly TMG variants (e.g. Grob109) on FAA61.75 does these fall under PPL+SEL privileges if the underlying EASA PPL has TMG? Or one need an FAA standalone glider certificate?

No, the FAA treats motor gliders as gliders and you must have a glider rating and a self-launch endorsement,

Last Edited by JasonC at 25 May 21:41
EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

FAA treats motor gliders as gliders and you must have a glider rating and a self-launch endorsement,

But no medical certification. Good Link Here

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 May 22:59

JasonC wrote:

But this would also require the written to be completed. An SE ATP is also rather pointless.

It would require a US medical certificate, a practical test, a more extensive written than the IFP, a TSA security threat assessment and an appropriate student visa. It would however overcome the stated need for Part-FCL renewals. It is a tidier and far more efficient procedure acquiring the ATP certificate with a single-engine class rating, notwithstanding the experience requirement, than a private or commercial pilot certificate and IR.

London, United Kingdom

ClearProp wrote:

so at the moment the only thing listed on it is my 737 type rating.

If it was me, I would take the path of least resistance, if doing a SEP class renewal is a practical and easy option then I would simply do that to keep it going. You may be surprised however what you get issued based on your license and that is what really counts if flying in the US on a FAA cert in a N reg. Once you get a regular FAA certificate above student level you can no longer be issued a 61.75.

You can do a search for the chief council interpretations here:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/practice_areas/regulations/interpretations/?year=all&q=&bSubmit=Search

I would never ask a CAA representative a FAA question and vice versa , the exception being if you want to use your FAA cert back in Europe, then It might get more complicated especially as you would not want to risk sanction against your EASA license and livelihood.

Last Edited by Ted at 26 May 00:03
Ted
United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

It is a tidier and far more efficient procedure acquiring the ATP certificate with a single-engine class rating, notwithstanding the experience requirement, than a private or commercial pilot certificate and IR.

Totally agree. While more involved than the bog-standard piggyback, it’ll solve many of your issues. Btw, a single-engine ATP isn’t quite as pointless as it may sound. At least prior to the Covid-19 meltdown, there were quite a few jobs flying PC12s or C208s that required (or at least preferred) the written ATP – single engine.

and an appropriate student visa.

IIRC merely taking the ATS theory exam and ATP practical test does not require flight instruction and therefore no VISA – if the candidate has PIC privileges (drawn in this case from a prior 61.75 certificate).

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message