Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Question regarding FAA piggyback licence

@Snoopy, thanks for your reply and I will send you a message.

Just one question: If I renew my SEP and IR on it, do I need also to renew my MEP or not to get Multi Engine Land privileges?

As for the EASA IR, I thought the ME-IR covers the SE-IR privileges.

Germany

ClearProp wrote:

As for the EASA IR, I thought the ME-IR covers the SE-IR privileges.

It does not in FAA-land.

Just one question: If I renew my SEP and IR on it, do I need also to renew my MEP or not to get Multi Engine Land privileges?

For EASA SE IR and ME IR are separate. What you can do is revalidate the SE IR when you do any other prof checks (eg a prof check on the 737 or when revalidating MEP ME IR yearly).

Regarding AMEL privileges for FAA I don’t know. I did the 61.75 based on EASA ATPL, SEP PIC IR, B777/787 PIC IR and got
FAA Private Pilot
Airplane Single Engine Land.

So it seems like a multi engine type rating doesn’t give AMEL privileges on the 61.75, or the DPE who entered the data didn’t know how to do it correctly and oversaw my type rating? I’ll need to check my validation form what I entered. Maybe I made the mistake when fillong out the form.

Would be interesting to know: Does a multi engine type rating qualify for AMEL on FAA? What if I get my MEP renewed on EASA, could I automatically fly N-reg Aircraft Multi Engine Land with my 61.75.?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Does a multi engine type rating qualify for AMEL on FAA? What if I get my MEP renewed on EASA, could I automatically fly N-reg Aircraft Multi Engine Land with my 61.75.?

AFAIK, Yes, and only if it gets added to your 61.75 certificate, perhaps if you had of asked nicely they might have added the B777/787 , but you would be subject to FAR 61.58. in addition to BFR from FAR 61.56.

Ted
United Kingdom

Snoopy, that’s correct the first attempt at the knowledge and practical tests does not require a visa as long as no training is required. The references are in post 13 of the thread LSA aircraft for FAA IFR training!

An applicant who fails either test must however undergo mandatory training iaw 14 CFR 61.49(a) before making a further attempt. With limited exception (#67) an alien student is prohibited from pursuing training when admitted to US under the visa waiver program or as a B-1/B-2 nonimmigrant. See 8 CFR 214.2(b)(7). Obtaining a student visa at the outset insures against needing to file an I-539 for adjustment of status which takes months to be approved (*). Note that candidates holding an ICAO Annex 1-compliant CPL/IR do not need to hold a US pilot certificate in order to attempt the ATP certificate practical test.

Refer to FAA Order 8900.1 vol 5 ch 2 sec 14 subpara 5-597 point 4) for information on including a type rating in a US restricted private pilot certificate issued iaw 14 CFR 61.75. The AMEL is a class rating is established in 14 CFR 61.5 and it is distinct from type ratings. Your restricted certificate must be re-issued with the AMEL endorsement in order to exercise AMEL privileges, unless 14 CFR 61.31(d)(2) applies (endorsement for solo flight by an authorized flight instructor).

ClearProp, as you have previously held an IR-SPA you may avail of the cross-credit iaw appendix 8 to Part-FCL. That appendix was amended last November to cover renewals as well as revalidations. The statement given in the BCAA information notice Instrument Rating (IR) & Cross-credit system —INFO/L-LIC/EN/2018-001 (pdf link) — at para 2.8 is therefore not up to date.

When revalidating or renewing an IR it is necessary to hold a valid appropriate class or type rating or to be concurrently revalidating or renewing the appropriate class or type rating. This is covered in rules FCL.625 and FCL.625.A. Appendix 8 details what instrument competencies are to be demonstrated during the proficiency check(s) taking account of IR-MPA credit.

London, United Kingdom

Note that candidates holding an ICAO Annex 1-compliant CPL/IR do not need to hold a US pilot certificate in order to attempt the ATP certificate practical test.

That’s amazing. So you can go directly from a euro CPL IR to a US ATP.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, and only if it gets added to your 61.75 certificate, perhaps if you had of asked nicely they might have added the B777/787

To clarify my question:

Would the faa ad „787/777“ or AMEL or both?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

So you can go directly from a euro CPL IR to a US ATP.

But you won’t be issued with an FAA instrument rating, as an instrument ratings only applies to Private and Commercial Pilots and 61.75. An FAA ATP pilot can of course exercise the privileges of an instrument rating even though they don’t have one. Type Ratings are also tied into the ATP and Instrument ratings, in the sense that the practical test overlaps and normally you require at least one. See FAR 61.63. This may be why Snoopys 777/787 rating was not added to his 61.75 because he did not meet the requirements for issue of the instrument rating under 61.75, along with the DPE knowing that Snoopy wasn’t interested in it any case.

You might find a combination of 61.75 cert and student pilot is enough to get the command hours that you need. You can fly in command on your own on a student license but your will need instructor supervision, but since you need a plane that might be a practical option.

Ted
United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

Would the faa ad „787/777“ or AMEL or both?

FAR 61.63. Says you normally need an ATP or Instrument Rating to hold a type rating. Perhaps if you were especially nice you could convince the DPE to issue as 777 VFR only But I suspect they knew what your true intentions were.

I would have asked for AMEL if I actually wanted it and politely asked for the regulation that prohibited me for having it, if I was so declined. IMHO 61.75 is a very generous provision. AFAIK If your a masochist you can take tests to add ratings to your 61.75, perhaps it takes a life beyond what is was intended when used outside the USA, but that is an entirely different issue.

Ted
United Kingdom

A lot of people have added the standalone IR to a 61.75. Not sure why.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message