Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Question regarding FAA piggyback licence

Snoopy wrote:

If a 61.75 bears ASEL and AMEL, is a flight review required for each of those? I read that it can be in any category („The satisfactory completion of a flight review allows you to exercise the privilege of pilot in command in all categories and classes of aircraft on your pilot certificate.“) so a flightreview in ASEL is sufficient to fly AMEL as well?!

Yes, the regulation only specifies it must be performed in an aircraft for which the pilot is rated.

Sec. 61.56 Flight review.
(c) Except as provided in paragraphs (d), (e), and (g) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command, that person has—
(1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated by an authorized instructor; and
(2) A logbook endorsed from an authorized instructor who gave the review certifying that the person has satisfactorily completed the review.
KUZA, United States

§61.56 Flight review.

(c) […] no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft
unless, since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before
the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command, that
person has—

(1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which
that pilot is rated by an authorized instructor and

See also section 61.31 paras (e), (f), and (g) on the training and endorsement required to operate complex (see FAA definition) / high-performance / pressurised aeroplanes certificated for high-altitude flight as PIC. Those endorsements cannot be given by other than a US-certificated flight instructor owing to the last provision in section 61.41.

London, United Kingdom

If a 61.75 bears ASEL and AMEL, is a flight review required for each of those? I read that it can be in any category („The satisfactory completion of a flight review allows you to exercise the privilege of pilot in command in all categories and classes of aircraft on your pilot certificate.“) so a flightreview in ASEL is sufficient to fly AMEL as well?!

Last Edited by Snoopy at 24 Aug 21:45
always learning
LO__, Austria

Qalupalik wrote:

You might contact AFS-810 for further guidance if none of this is clear.

Good advice, what have you to loose by politely asking for them to put the type rating on after passing the written?

This may create an issue as a 737 is not ASEL… I looked up a good friend that I know only holds a 61.75 and he has type rating issued against his 61.75 so they did at one point let you put them on.

Ted
United Kingdom
… there is no MEP „classificiation“ under FAA, the 737 would come together with AMEL, right?

No. Broadly, aeroplane classes are established for aeroplanes certificated for single-pilot operation and aeroplane types are established for aeroplanes certificated for operation with a minimum crew of at least two pilots. That’s the ICAO standard in Annex 1. The US regulations established aeroplane classes corresponding to the ICAO standard.

§61.5 Certificates and ratings issued under this part.

(b) The following ratings are placed on a pilot certificate
(other than student pilot) when an applicant satisfactorily
accomplishes the training and certification requirements
for the rating sought:

(2) Airplane class ratings—

(i) Single-engine land.
(ii) Multiengine land.
(iii) Single-engine sea.
(iv) Multiengine sea.

A restricted US private pilot certificate will only be endorsed with aircraft ratings that are either endorsed on the foreign licence or acquired under section 61.63.

§61.75 Private pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license.

(a) General. A person who holds a foreign pilot license
at the private pilot level or higher that was issued by a
contracting State to the Convention on International Civil
Aviation may apply for and be issued a U.S. private pilot
certificate with the appropriate ratings if the foreign pilot
license meets the requirements of this section.

(c) Aircraft ratings issued. Aircraft ratings listed on
a person’s foreign pilot license, in addition to any issued
after testing under the provisions of this part, may be
placed on that person’s U.S. pilot certificate for private
pilot privileges only.

The requirements for a standard US airline transport pilot certificate are different. The rules for military pilots are also different. Neither has any relevance to the interpretation of section 61.75.

Post #56 refers to FAA Order 8900.2C. That handbook contains information that is more than fifteen years out of date, eg the reference on p 7-152 to the Flight Training Candidate Checks Program that was established by the DOJ on 13 Feb 2003 in pursuance of s. 113 of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act, enacted 19 Nov 2001. Responsibility for threat assessment was handed over to DHS under s 612 of the Vision 100 – Century of Aviation Reauthorization Act, enacted 12 Dec 2003, which then covered the requirement with the Alien Flight Student Program set up in Sep 2004. See TSA’s Privacy Impact Assessment for the Alien Flight Student Program. 22 Sep 2006. (pdf link).

See instead FAA Order 8900.1 vol 5 ch 2 sec 14 subpara 5-597D. The order is available on FSIMS.

5-597 U.S. PILOT CERTIFICATES THAT MAY BE ISSUED TO A PERSON WHO
HOLDS A FOREIGN PILOT LICENSE The kinds of U.S. pilot certificates that may be
issued to a person who holds a foreign pilot license in accordance with § 61.75 are:

D. Ratings Issued. A U.S. private pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign pilot
license (at least equivalent to or higher than the U.S. private pilot certification level) must
bear the § 61.5 equivalent to the ratings on the foreign pilot license (e.g., ASEL or AMEL).
[…]

You might contact AFS-810 for further guidance if none of this is clear.

London, United Kingdom

FAA 61.75 would say ASEL, AMEL, 737, IR.

If I was stateside that’s what I would ask for after doing the written. I would do my homework and find out what version of 737 the rating would be equivalent. If not I would want to know what FAR prohibits this.

Ted
United Kingdom

Thanks.

This document while doesn’t answer the question directly does suggest they will put the 737 rating on 61.75 if you pass the instrument written and ask nicely…

And since there is no MEP „classificiation“ under FAA, the 737 would come together with AMEL, right? FAA 61.75 would say ASEL, AMEL, 737, IR.
Since a 737 is both a 737 type (logically, haha) and a AMEL.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

So @ted ‘s “idea” wouldn’t work, quote:

My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek. But you won’t know it doesn’t work until you try IMHO. If the only evidence of a multi-engine class aircraft is a 737 then you will at least need an instrument rating to hold that on your 61.75. Type ratings are only available to instrument rated or ATPs only. Having never completed a check ride in an MEP and holding a AMEL is quite normal in the USA, e.g. loads of military pilots follow that pathway. I have a standard FAA ATP AMEL and never done a MEP checkride, plus and old 61.75 from a long time ago.

Doing this all from europe booking flights, Visa etc, as opposed to living in and working in the USA is likely a deciding factor in all this.

This document while doesn’t answer the question directly does suggest they will put the 737 rating on 61.75 if you pass the instrument written and ask nicely…

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/orders_notices/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/1033969

Start from page 258, BTW some of the content directly contradicts some of the FAA chief council opinions…

Ted
United Kingdom

Note that if you have a US standalone certificate then you also need a US medical.

With a 61.75 you can fly an N-reg on an EASA medical which is a lot easier to get in many scenarios e.g. the FAA Special Issuance is a nightmare in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Assume you meant the 61.75 is endorsed only with an A*S*EL? If so then as Rwy20 say. Or pass the US practical test.

London, United Kingdom
63 Posts
Sign in to add your message