Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Quickie to Guernsey EGJB for Lunch

I guess many will know Guernsey as the second home for me and my aircraft however my wife has never visited the Island so I decided to fly over on Sunday (13th April) to show her around.

I wont bore everybody with the flight details of this simple trip but would like to mention ASG’s handling/landing fee which is a total bargain at £15 (no vat of course!) and includes a Marshaller with a power tug who neatly parks your aircraft, use of the great crew room and parking for the day.

We had a hire car brought to the ASG GA terminal by AVIS who were very helpful and also arranged for drop off at the GA terminal when we left.

Great lunch at ‘Auberge’ which is about 10 mins from the airport with fab sea views.

Then a tour of the island and a walk on the beach:) Perfect

Fuel promptly delivered at £1.43/litre

Uneventful flight back to Sleap – what a great flying day Sunday was!

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

I wont bore everybody with the flight details of this simple trip but would like to mention ASG’s handling/landing fee which is a total bargain at £15 (no vat of course!) and includes a Marshaller with a power tug who neatly parks your aircraft, use of the great crew room and parking for the day.

I’d concur with that. I went to Guernsey late last year and the service and help was great. OK, I didnt need much ‘help’ but someone did move and retrieve my aircraft, and helped with the forms and booking a tazi. The only thing that did upset me was seeing MOGAS being sold at high street petrol stations for around £1.15 a litre. Even last year, that was something like half the price of mainland UK fuel prices! Anyhow, planning to do Jersey soon, as I have done Alderney and Guernsey now.

Totally concur. The new Class D airspace also simplifies things.

BTW If you are an AOPA member then you can enjoy a further discount on fuel. Pay the bowser driver rather than ASG. I think I paid 1.34 last year

There’s quite a nice pub within walking distance too

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Planning a short day-trip to Guernsey….does anyone have any good suggestions for lunch / nice areas to see? Car available so travel not an issue.

Thank you!

EGSX

I think Peter goes sometimes to ´Le Gouffre’ which is 15 minutes by foot from the airport. Some info in a previous report.
Last year, we went to The boathouse in St Peter Port but I would not recommend. Good seafood but service reminded me Parisian cafes

LFOU, France

I think a lot of pilots go to Le Gouffre, which is really good, and there is a lovely scenic walk along the cliffs right from it

service reminded me Parisian cafes

Only a Frenchman would get away with writing that

There are other restaurants in the town but I don’t have a recollection of any specific ones.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice – ended up being a great day. I’d recommend Guernsey to anyone who appreciates the outdoors, nature and cheap fuel! We parked at ASG and they were fantastic. Very efficient service, parked the plane for us & refuelled – the whole thing for £10.

We ended up eating at The Rockmount on the western shoreline (apparently the more scenic side of the island)…

A pretty interesting departure out of London. OVC600ft with Windy stating tops arounds 6000-8000ft (@FL100 the humidity was predicted around 50% for multiple models). The picture was taken at FL120 barely breaking out of the clouds.

Guernsey was VFR but at 3.5km visibility that feels tough. It depends a lot on the direction of the sun versus where you’re looking. In some directions you can’t see anything whilst others are much more clear.

In this direction the viz was great – beautiful islands!

The ASG hangar is pretty amazing

The view from The Rockmount restaurant

Horizontal visibility poor even up in the flight levels – wouldn’t have been an easy VFR flight

The return flight into London was much clearer albeit still a bit hazy

Some more Guernsey:

An interesting point regarding flight plan filing. I usually file with Foreflight simply due to convenience (it’s a few less clicks & a bit faster) nonetheless I pretty much always cross check the options versus Autorouter (..I know pretty much just undid my convenience point). In the past I found that Autorouter often had better suggestions especially when it got to avoiding open waters (one of its amazing functions) and waypoint constraints. Recently I have found however that Foreflight has been outperforming Autorouter. Let’s take the Guernsey example; on the way back I wanted to limit time over water as much as possible without hacking around with waypoints in autorouter. The best option it gave me (having toggled avoid open water) was the below:

Foreflight managed to get something significantly better (in regards to glide safety) hacking together a route that seems controversially put together without any clear connection to any SID (there is a SID to ORIST but it doesn’t include ELDUN). Needless to say I didn’t fly a single one of these waypoints but the route was much better than what Autorouter suggested. The route validated so not matter how improper it was – it worked.

EGSX
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message