Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Quotes on iPhone

Does anyone know how to quote text when posting from an iPhone?

You cannot highlight the text and then hit the ‘quote’ button and the bq. thing doesn’t seem to work either.

Please read the Posting Tips, 172driver.

In there you will find out why bq. is not working for you.

Interesting about not being able to swipe text on an Ipad. I thought there was a way to do that, in some contexts at least, though it is a bit torturous on all “finger” interfaces.

What browser are you using? I might be able to test it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter I’m talking about the iPhone, not the iPad.

In any case, I hink I found the error – I didn’t eave a space after the bq. No time now, but will try again later from my iPhone (writing this on my computer).

The paragraph being quoted has to be a paragraph i.e. a blank line before it and a blank line after it.

Normally that is how one would type up a posting anyway because it is the most obvious way to write neatly and concisely, but, yeah, I know, with mobile devices everything is a (relative) sado masochistic experience and getting postings to look nice is not everybody’s #1 priority I don’t post here from a phone unless it is a very brief one, and I certainly wouldn’t bother quoting a load of text.

If you use the bq. method then the bq. basically needs to

• have a blank line before it
  • be the first three characters on a line (no space etc before it)
  • have at least one space after it

And there needs to be a blank line after the bit of text being quoted.

One day we will modify the text processor here to automatically fix up quoted text so that it has blank lines before and after. We have already done it for Youtube videos.

Last Edited by Peter at 12 Dec 12:57
Administrator

I don’t post here from a phone unless it is a very brief one, and I certainly wouldn’t bother quoting a load of text.

Well, I sometimes travel with my iPhone only, so that’s it for me.

Writing this from, you guessed it, my iPhone ! Let’s see if the quotes work, I did as you say, Peter.

Ha!

Yeah :-)

The thing I like about software is that when it works, it’s really good

Administrator
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message