Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Racist" joke about the B777 accident in SFO

The news was full of this prank by a junior NTSB employee who revealed the names of the 4 pilots on board of the B777:

• Sum Ting Wong
  • Wi Tu Lo
  • Ho Lee Fuk
  • Bang Ding Ow

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/12/asiana-pilots-fake-names-racistn3588569.html

Maybe I am a racist, but I think this is very funny, in the best Bart Simpson manner and shows very well how the US news circus works. Cut and paste, publish quickly, no due diligence, be the first to have a news item, no matter its quality.

I think Mr Wi Tu Lo must have been PF!

At the first occurrence I thought it could be let for what it was, but here's a second thread in only a couple of days that has nothing to do with general aviation. Allow me to insist we should remain true to our nature, and to the mission of this forum.

OK, it's only among the "hangar talk", but even so... we should avoid declining into yet another pp__e.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

The second reason I find this very funny is that it is such a great play on the modern adult illiteracy so common in the "great Western economies", greatly assisted by the Iphone "want everything now and can't be bothered to write 2 lines if I can write 1 line immediately followed by pressing the Send button" generation

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What due diligence would you suggest, other than checking the NTSB releases?

It's the sort of thing that is quite obvious if you read it aloud but I can see how it
it might have got past an otherwise careful proofreader.

Interesting flight path animation...

OK, this is getting funnier by the day.

Now the NTSB says that the TV station made up the list of pilot names and sent them for confirmation to the NTSB where an intern accidentally confirmed it.

Asiana (the airline) announced it would file a lawsuit against the TV station for defamation.

What a sick world.

Didn't Asiana release the names in a press release a few days before the channel broadcast this?

It is worrying... I once saw another news agency publish a map of Latin America where the Pacific was called the Indian Ocean!!!!

EDHS, Germany
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message