Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Radar Altimeter / RADALT

New radar altimeter from Garmin

here

However it is not exactly new. It is about a year old – here.

It seems to be a purely remote-reading box i.e. the radar altitude is displayed on something like a G500.

For many years, the King KRA10 was the only option. That has its own readout instrument, 3.125" diameter. I think it has been discontinued, however.

Ad to how useful a RADALT is for GA, that’s another question I know 2 or 3 TB20/21 owners who have one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Out of sheer curiosity: what frequency would be used?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

King KRA10 was the only option

This is not completly true, in the 70’s Bonzer came up with a radar altimeter for general aviation, I have some customers flying with these, Bonzer Mk 10 and the mini.
Quite simple installation, which also featured it’s own indicator. The “computer” / radar / antenna are combined in the second part of the system.

The Garmin can be used as remote unit for other avionics, as well as a standalone radar altimeter, displaying data on the dedicated GI-205 indicator.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Out of sheer curiosity: what frequency would be used?

Somewhere around 4 GHz

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Ad to how useful a RADALT is for GA, that’s another question I know 2 or 3 TB20/21 owners who have one.

Used properly, it can be another safety net, similar to an AoA indicator. A reminder that the minimum is approaching when high workload distracts the pilot from monitoring his altimeter. Or if setting the altimeter to QNH was forgotten. Even more useful if it’s part of a ground proximity warning system. But some pilots will be (and have been) tempted to use it for selfmade Cat II or III approaches which sooner or later will end with a wreck between the appraoch lights (I have seen a couple of those) or in the grass beside the runway.

BTW: As commercial GA flyers with Cat I approval we are not allowed to use our RA for anything else but a GPWS sensor.

Last Edited by what_next at 16 Mar 10:19
EDDS - Stuttgart

AOA seems to get more and more accepted / requested. Garmin will also come out with a AOA indicator for GA. There are allready some others on the market, and I think under some experimental aircraft these are allready quite populair.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

AOA seems to get more and more accepted / requested.

Which is not a bad thing, if used properly.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Terra used to have one some years back.

http://www.buckens.com/Helio/t3020.htm

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Terra used to have one some years back.

And a lot of Twin Cessnas from the 70s an 80s have Sperry radalts.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I am getting a radalt fitted this summer. I really like them.

EGTK Oxford
70 Posts
Sign in to add your message