Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RAIM Prediction

tomjnx wrote in a separate thread:

Let me put it this way. These are all radio systems, so they eventually fail (be it due to interference, or due to the ionosphere acting up (Mögel-Dellinger, Aurora). I find it a remarkable testament to the reliability of GNSS that people feel compelled to discuss every outage, while outages with other navigation systems, such as VOR, DME, NDB are apparently daily business not worth reporting

One question I have is regarding RAIM prediction: who, of the TSO129 GPS operators, does this? Or do TSO146 operators check for scheduled or predicted Egnos outages? In Australia, where there is no SBAS, RAIM predictions are a standard part of an IFR pre-flight…what about in Europe?

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

AnthonyQ wrote:

who, of the TSO129 GPS operators, does this?

Anyone who reads NOTAMS. AUGUR injects NOTAMs in case of RAIM unavailability.

LSZK, Switzerland

So in Europe there is no need to run a RAIM prediction model prior to using a non-WAAS GPS for IFR? Certainty there is in Australia and the US…some in the US argue it is only required only for approaches…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I would have thought if you are using a non-WAAS GPS as the primary means of navigation or you intend to do an approach with it you should run a RAIM check.

EGTK Oxford

tomjnx wrote:

Anyone who reads NOTAMS. AUGUR injects NOTAMs in case of RAIM unavailability.

Really? AUGUR shows a short period of RAIM unavailability at Göteborg/Säve (ESGP) and Stockholm/Arlanda (ESSA) later this evening. There are no NOTAMs published for either airport.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

At my outfit we do RAIM checks at the start of each working day for all our destinations. I was taught to do so from day 1 of my IR when GPS approaches were just coming in.

London area

Airborne_Again wrote:

Really?

I have seen AUGUR generated NOTAMs in the recent past.

However, they do generate NOTAMs only for one specific receiver configuration, while on the web site you can set different parameters which will generate slightly different results.

LSZK, Switzerland

JasonC wrote:

I would have thought if you are using a non-WAAS GPS as the primary means of navigation or you intend to do an approach with it you should run a RAIM check.

There is a guidance document from the UK CAA about conducting GNSS approaches in GA. Chapter 4.

LFPT, LFPN

I started reading that CAA document but stopped before sinking into corporate bullsh*it induced depression

How many sentences there are not bullsh*it?

Even the first sentence is bullsh*it. We have had a “total RNAV environment” for longer than I have been flying in the Eurocontrol system, and I started in 2005.

Basically, GPS has done to navigation what the CD did to vinyl records, and this is a load of job creation for the old guardians on navigational purity.

Just my opinion, you understand…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looking into the Jeppesen introductory part for Europe, chapter “State Rules and Procedures”, one finds for example for Germany these paragraphs:

f. The Receiver-Autonomous Integrity Monitoring function (RAIM or an equivalent procedure) shall be available.
g. RAIM prediction or an equivalent prediction procedure offered by the air navigation service provider shall be used which guarantees that the monitoring capability (RAIM or equivalent procedure) is available at the destination aerodrome at the ETA

I am sure that most other European countries have similar rules.

EDDS - Stuttgart
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message