Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Really wrong wind forecast

At what altitude are the GFS Winds being forecast? If it’s 2000, 5000 or 10,000 ft, maybe that explains it.

In the usual GFS files you have data for the following levels:
875 hpa
825 hpa
775 hpa
725 hpa
675 hpa
625 hpa
575 hpa
525 hpa
475 hpa
425 hpa
375 hpa
325 hpa
275 hpa
225 hpa
175 hpa
125 hpa
7 hpa
5 hpa
3 hpa
2 hpa
1 hpa

In addition there is low level wind data which not related to pressure levels but a certain height above the ground.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Philipp,

the closest thing to the DWD maps I have seen currently are those on the “profikarten” on Wetter.de.

I think the development will go in another direction however. The model data is widely available, GFS being free. I have seen some rather interesting looking products in the flight sim scene which do pretty much that, they will create an overlay on top of a moving map with the wind barbs. Zoom that to the size you want and erase what is not necessary, and you actually get pretty much the same result, with GFS data.

Another bit I am looking at carefully is the development by Meteo Group, who also make the popular Weather Pro app. Some parts can be seen in the premium services they sell, weather globe as they call it. Currently, that displays primarily weather radar and sat data, but the forecast products they have also include model data. So far, they have no wind data, but that is a relatively easy thing to change.

I think the future will go in apps which will use and graphically represent the data, be it on own maps or superimposed on others such as Google Earth or similar maps.

Some flight planners do this already, to a variing degree of useability. But this trend will definitly continue.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message