Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rebuilding a factory A/C as a homebuilt?

Peter wrote:

@Coolhand and @Aart might know about this, being Spanish based.

As a matter of fact, I would bet that I even know the owner of this Sierra. Give my regards to L.P. ;-)
World is such a small place…

In Spain, to build an amateur/experimiental aircraft, there is also applicable the rule of the 51% as in France. It means that the inspector engineer designated by the airworthiness authority, has to verify that your’re building indeed ‘the major part’ of your project.
Therefore, to have a certificated factory built ULM re-registered as amateur/experimental, is not so common/easy, as it falls easily out of the scope of amateur thing, unless you dissasemble all the parts and rebuild more than half of A/C again by yourself. Anyway, I know of some other airplanes in this same situation.
To sell an amateur aircraft, regarding spanish normative, a minimum of years must to have passed from the first registration. I don’t remember the figure by heart, but it would be something around 5 or maybe 6 years.

An amateur will have a restricted airworthiness certificate. Then, other restrictions may be applied by the country of the buyer, if he/she wants to re-register it.

I think @celtico, from northern Spain, has real experience with amateur building, so probably he could add some more info.

LECU - Madrid, Spain
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message