Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Red Bull plane airshow crash (Guatemala)

Maoraigh wrote:

Was this an Airshow, with an invited audience, or a practice,

As per the report referenced above by Peter, it was during a practice session.

Was this an Airshow, with an invited audience, or a practice, at a usual place and time, which people came to watch? We’re the people killed completely unconnected to the flying, going about their own business, in an apparently unoccupied area?
Which situation it was affects the culpability of the pilot.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

This accident has as much in common with every day normal flying as Formula one or Paris-Dakar has with a normal car trip to the shops. Obviously this kind of performances do not promote the safety of the usual GA flying.

That was (almost) exactly what I meant (although I didn’t know he killed innocent bystanders as it appears he did?). We should separate between transport and sport/recreation. Not doing this will make transport unsafe and sport/recreation dull. The acceptance of risk is on a personal level in sport/recreation, while it is generally not in transportation.

It’s perfectly possible to combine personal transport and recreation, but I don’t think you can do that on a general basis once passengers are involved. “Everyday normal flying” ? it can mean many different things, to different pilots, or for the same pilot at different times. It’s not a definition of anything. An average PPL pilot flying a C-172 can be much more risky than one flying professional aerobatics. Certainly much more risky than CAT.

The danger is the same though. We should have a clear understanding of what we are doing and why we are doing it.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Well, a perfect example of the danger of flying

This accident has as much in common with every day normal flying as Formula one or Paris-Dakar has with a normal car trip to the shops. Obviously this kind of performances do not promote the safety of the usual GA flying.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The whole event was a total dogs breakfast and only God knows what he was doing over the crowd in a practise session.. When I first saw the video it was mentioned that it was Kirby Chambliss himself that was involved. It was Steve Andelin.

The fact that a mother and her son were killed, and a number badly maimed is inexcusable frankly. Now that said there is discussion that it could have been a GLoc event which may go someway to explaining. However he was a highly experienced aero pilot and should have followed his own rules which it appears he did not.

One thing though it looks like it was flown to the ground dispelling the Gloc theory, but who knows. All very sad in a weekend that also the death of Mark Nowosielski.This gent

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Peter wrote:

Like the Shoreham crash, a little higher and he would have “got away with it”.

Exactly what I had in mind, or a 1mm pull on top of the maneuver at slow speeds would have made a lot of difference…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Well, a perfect example of the danger of flying. Hit the ground too hard, and that’s it. This is why it is important to differentiate between transportation (especially or perhaps exclusively? – involving passengers) and sport/recreation.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Searching youtube for
red bull plane crash
digs them out in seconds, showing the two on the ground.

This one shows the flying. Horrible…

Like the Shoreham crash, a little higher and he would have “got away with it”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fortunately that doesn’t show the horrible bits, but it is also missing the aerobatic practice leading to the final flight path.

United Kingdom
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one