Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Reducing GPS database costs

€495/year + VAT for 12 months Central Europe.

EGTK Oxford

Excuse me for bringing it up once more: the pilot community is stupid to accept having to pay for navigational data. This data is brought out publicly by the various authorities (each in charge of their FIR(s) ) and the only added value of Garmin, Jeppesen and the lot is that they package it and produce maps from it that we get used to and comfortable with, be it on paper or in electronic (but then encrypted) form.

If all of us stopped buying this overpriced stuff, the GPS manufacturers would soon enough see reason to make their apparatus accept navigational data in the form of straight text files; these can be easily produced from the official sources with some scripting and/or filtering. In the present IT environment, such tools are easy to produce and easy to validate.

I have never found it acceptable to have to pay for information that is officially and publicly available - there may be added value in the packaging/presentation of the data, but I never got an answer to my questions about the publisher's liability in case of typo's or other errors, inevitable sooner or later.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I think with respect that is a somewhat utopian view. With the way GPS navigation for IFR is going (all the RNAV procedures, B-RNAV, P-RNAV etc), it will never be allowed to load editable text files into a unit.

Allowing it would be bad for business and people aren't going to stop buying the navdata and have their expensive bits and pieces stop working.

EGTK Oxford

Peter,

It has been a while, but I was able to get an extension once when I owned a KLN90B.

KUZA, United States

Jan,

With your anti-authority views, you are beginning to sound like an American.:)

KUZA, United States

€495/year + VAT for 12 months Central Europe.

What does that comprise?

1 or 2 GPS subs?

Central Europe doesn't sound too good... what does it cover? Honeywell's "Atlantic" sub covers a vast area. What happens once you fly outside "Central Europe"? Are there no waypoints in the database?

I have never found it acceptable to have to pay for information that is officially and publicly available

You are not alone but those who want slick IFR capability, and data on IFR certified (i.e. panel mounted) platforms, are stuck with this.

If you want free and current nav data, there are plenty of ways to get it but it can be done only on a portable device. For example you can get the free national AIP terminal charts. Most of them aren't "nice" but they are OK. You can download enroute data of various sorts from Eurocontrol. There are also loads of bootleg maps, for e.g. Oziexplorer.

Jepp's business involves taking the public data and straightening it out so it is all consistently presented, for ease of use in the cockpit. That is worth a lot to a busy pilot. I don't think Jepp add anything whatsoever to the public data. They just compile it into a neat consistent package.

A pilot flying from (say) Italy to (say) Bulgaria is not going to want to use the Italian AIP charts and a couple of hours later use possibly very differently drafted Bulgarian AIP charts.

It has been a while, but I was able to get an extension once when I owned a KLN90B.

Yes; they did it once or twice but then stopped

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That is for 2 subs. The below map shows Central Europe according to Jepp.

EGTK Oxford

OK; that is what Jepp call "Europe" in Jeppview also. As one of their employees once explained to me, it's the stuff west of the Iron Curtain.

Is the €495 simply 2x the individual GPS sub?

What happens if you try to select an IFR waypoint outside that area?

Administrator

No you get a discount for having 2. I haven't tried but assume you will get nothing if you try to get a waypoint out of the subscription. On their website a single unit is 412+VAT so the second is marginal.

EGTK Oxford

I wonder if you can create user waypoints outside the sub area.

Also, I wonder if you can load a flight plan into the unit, using the Jepp/Garmin Flight Plan Migrator gadget (which IIRC writes a flight plan onto the SD card), which lies partly or wholly outside the sub area.

In the Honeywell world, the MFD basemap doesn't do anything other than show itself. The entire flight plan comes from the GPS - all waypoints etc. I reckon Garmin must work the same way, otherwise one would be relying on a correspondence between the waypoint naming in the flight planning app and in the GPS. Some handhelds work / used to work that way - as the developers of Navbox found out.

Taking the JV (PC etc platform) area pricing (€1400/year for what you have, €2000/year for "Europe" proper) it sounds like "Europe" would cost you best part of £1000/year, and that is just for flying around, not for any terminal charts!

Clearly these GTN boxes are excellent subscription collection platforms

I wonder how many people install this stuff and then get a shock...

Would 2 x GNS430W be cheaper on the databases?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message