Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Reissuance of validated FAA license due to new EASA license

Has anybody done that yet? I did.

My JAR-FCL license was expired and so I needed this new EASA FCL license. To get this license was not a problem and the only difference is that "DE.FCL." is prepended to the license number. However, the reissuance procedure is quite annoying.

There is a FAA deviation procedure in place to get this new FAA license plate without the need to travel to the US. But you need to provide exactly the information requested in the document, point by point. Otherwise it will be rejected by the FAA. They are quite strict. It must all be sent on your CAA's letterhead, signed by an authorized CAA person and sent by fax or regular mail. eMail will be rejected.

The German Luftfahrtbundesamt just sent their 3rd fax to the FAA to get this done. It took me a month now. Let's see if the FAA is happy now...

EDXQ

You seem to have a good standing in Braunschweig if the LBA sends 3 faxes for you

Once you get it done, please send me your form so I know what it should look like. I'm still on my JAR-FCL license but I have to pick up my FAA IR license until May 2014 otherwise my IFR theoretical exam will expire. Probably smart to do it on an EASA license so I'm waiting for you!

The problem is there is no form. So each CAA has to gather all the required information from the well-known FAA document. But the LBA now knows how to get this done (Frau Wagner, LBA).

During the various eMails I've exchanged with the FAA I got the following info, too. So there seems to be an alternate way:

"The other option for you, is to make application for the correction to the FAA pilot certificate. There are two FAA designees located in Europe who are authorized to accept your application and verify your identity, in order to correct the new EASA license number change to the FAA pilot certificate. I've attached a link for more information.

I had to get my FAA 61.75 reissued on my (then) JAA Licence two years ago because they decided it was no longer valid to have it on my Australian Licence which I had been using for the past 15 years of flying in the US!....anyway my JAA Licence had the same number as my UK CAA national Licence, which is still valid (albeit only for non-EASA aircraft com April next year)....I now have an EASA Licence with the new GBR prenom but as far as I can tell the 61.75 is still valid on the basis of my UK national Licence....is this dual (EASA/National CAA) Licences unique to the UK?

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

The FAA have stated that your 61.75 becomes invalid when you move from your JAR license to a GBR prefixed EASA license. However, they have introduced a simplified process to get a new FAA 61.75 without travelling to a FSDO.

Andreas was the first in Germany to go down that route. I don't know how far the CAA is but I guess it probably has the closest ties with the FAA of all European regulators.

The FAA have stated that your 61.75 becomes invalid when you move from your JAR license to a GBR prefixed EASA license.

Good reason for retaining a UK National licence, best £40s worth from the CAA ever.

I have a uk-issued jar-ppl and a piggybacked faa-ppl and a faa-ir. I'm considering to transform my jar-ppl into an Easa-ppl (because I want to get a uk IMCR and CAA requires me to change first my jar-ppl into EASA). Will I need to redo the faa piggyback process once I will have changed into Easa? Thanks for any help.

Yes, you need a new FAA piggyback license.

IAOPA statement

Administrative process

Letter from FAA to EASA

Note that the process is very much under-specified. It will depend on your CAA whether and how the simplified process can be applied.

With due respect to Achima, I think not. The UK CAA issued me a JAA PPL and a UK PPL which included my IMC rating because there was no way to have the IMC on the JAA Licence. However the EASA Licence does have the IMC rating I the form of an IR (Restricted) rating which possibly means you would need to request the UK national PPL Licence if you do not already have it (which will have the old UK/PP/xxxx number the same as your JAA Licence) and no doubt parting with £40 as Tumbleweed mentions....hopefully that all makes sense!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

AnthonyQ, not sure to understand your point: if the EASA PPL can hold an IMC rating, why should CAA issue me also with a UK national PPL? And, even so, why would that avoid me to repeat the FAA piggyback process (via the easier route suggested by Achimha)?

25 Posts
Sign in to add your message