Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Remotely controlled airport towers

It’s probably cheaper to employ controllers in Swanwick than London (which is an absurdly expensive place to live, and employees often get premium pay to afford the cost of living).

Andreas IOM

Perhaps it’s to do with reduced need for standby controllers to cover sickness or sudden incapacitation or simply breaks?

Hard to see the savings from that to be worth it though.

Or maybe they feel it would be a good location for testing the technology rather than it being an efficiency thing?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

What’s the point of remote operation of an airport such as London City? It has enough traffic that controllers must be dealing with it full time.

The advantage of remote towers is that controllers can share their time between several airports with occasional traffic.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

London City has gone remote

Flugleiter posts moved here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

skydriller wrote:

Even if there have been no incidents to date, if there is one controller simultaneously operating more than one airport tower at the same time, then I would be concerned.

Keeping in mind that they may have many controllers on rest/standby/coffee/…, I don’t think it would be such a big issue.

EGTR

Malibuflyer wrote:

If it’s, however, that they have to handle one arrival at airport x at 9 and the next one at airport y at 10 I don’t see any issue.

This is a VERY different thing to what I am talking about.
That is akin to having one project in operation, finishing completely with it, then starting another.

Even if there have been no incidents to date, if there is one controller simultaneously operating more than one airport tower at the same time, then I would be concerned.

Last Edited by skydriller at 30 Jul 16:21

In Germany, i know only Saarbrücken which is monitored from Leipzig. I suspect the reason behind is lower salary in the former East Germany…

here

Opening hours are Mon-Sun 0400–2030

EDMG, Germany

arj1 wrote:

what are their open hours, out of curiousity? Is it very short one or 24/7?

From next week the TWR hours are

ESKS CLSD
ESNN MON-FRI 1200-1500, SAT CLSD, SUN 1200-1500
ESNO MON-FRI 0730-0900, SAT CLSD, SUN 1600-1730
ESSL MON-FRI 0500-1615, SAT-SUN 1445-1615

I don’t think these opening hours are representative as this is both the holiday period in Sweden and many airports have reduced hours due to the pandemic.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Sweden has four remote towered airports (ESKS, ESNO, ESNN, ESSL). The ESNO remote tower has been in operation since 2015. I haven’t heard anything about safety incidents.

@Airborne_Again what are their open hours, out of curiousity? Is it very short one or 24/7?

Thanks!

EGTR

skydriller wrote:

As someone who has had direct experience of “remote monitoring” in a different area of critical operations, where someone is overlooking more than one project realtime, this REALLY worries me. Getting a “picture” of what is happening in more than one place with different operating parameters is not an easy thing to do and I have seen first hand how instructions can easily get mixed up and how the wrong instruction can be given to a project based on the situation at a different location.

Sweden has four remote towered airports (ESKS, ESNO, ESNN, ESSL). The ESNO remote tower has been in operation since 2015. I haven’t heard anything about safety incidents.

92 Posts
Sign in to add your message