Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Renewing SE IR

Hi All,

I gained a ME/IR last September and I was also given SE privileges at the same. My ME and SE IR will expire in a few days. I have an A320 TR and Multi Pilot IR which is kept current as part of my job.

I’m interested it in renewing the SE IR it in the future as I would eventually like to buy a touring aircraft but not at the moment as i’ve got other commitments. I have read that if the rating is not renewed for a few years I will have to take the ATPL exams again? Will this be the case if I still have a Multi Pilot IR?

Thanks
Callum

Last Edited by Callum at 27 Sep 16:14
London Area

This may be relevant. Also I have some links here (search for “7 years”).

On the specific matter of your A320 flying’s applicability to an SE IR, I have no idea.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As long as you will maintain your IR on your type rating there is no risk of having to do the ATPL exams again. Will your SEP(land) (for VFR) also expire or will you keep that one current? As long as you keep that one current I would say that you simply do an IR PC in a SEP to get IR attached to that one again.

If you have completed at least three instrument approaches(of which one is RNP) during the last 12 months your examiner may also extend your SE/IR when you do your PC for the Airbus.

The rules are a mess, I know…

ESSZ, Sweden

Any Part-FCL IR will preserve ATPL theory credit: FCL.025(c) Validity period

(1) …

(2) The completion of the airline transport pilot licence (ATPL) theoretical knowledge examinations will remain valid for the issue of an ATPL for a period of 7 years from the last validity date of:

(i) an IR entered in the licence; or

(ii) in the case of helicopters, a helicopter’s type rating entered in that licence.

with a related provision covering IR theory at FCL.625(d):

If the IR has not been revalidated or renewed within the preceding 7 years, the holder will be required to pass again the IR theoretical knowledge examination and skill test.

There is a derogation applied by UK to this second point allowing for the preservation of Part-FCL IR theory credit by persons holding, or having held within the preceding 7 years, an ICAO Annex 1-compliant third country IR. There is an outstanding amendment to incorporate this derogation, but with credit limited to a valid third country IR, into the Aircrew Regulation (see EASA Opinion 05/2017) but FCL.025 is not covered. This is not relevant to you and I mention it only to broaden the scope of the thread.

London, United Kingdom

Fly310, the requirement to hold a valid aircraft rating when renewing an IR is not yet in effect.

London, United Kingdom

Revalidating your IR is easy, just a PC on any SEP with IR capabilities
Renewing is more difficult: you must obtain permission from an ATO to take the PC. So don’t wait.

you must obtain permission from an ATO to take the PC

It should also be possible – I happen to know – to get the ATO to simply say that no retraining is required if you hold another valid ICAO IR. This is relevant especially to FAA IR holders who want to re-acquire the old JAA or EASA IR and it has expired. It’s a matter of who you know… if you just walk into an ATO and ask for this, they will likely say No.

Administrator

Peter,

Neither an ATO evaluation nor a course completion certificate are required in that case and because the renewal is treated as a revalidation you may approach an examiner directly.

Last Edited by Qalupalik at 27 Sep 20:49
London, United Kingdom

Very very few people know that

Administrator
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message