Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Renting in Kenya

10 Posts

I am looking to go to Kenya this winter, visiting a friend who lives there. It would be fun to do a bit of flying.
Anyone knows of N-Reg for rental (to avoid licence validation)
Otherwise any experience with validation & rental of “local reg” ?

I doubt you’ll have much luck renting an N-reg in Kenya. If you want to validate your license, then be aware that if your issuing authority is the UK CAA you have to fill in some forms and – of course – pay some money before you go and then they still claim 10 working days after the foreign xAA has made the request. Not the case with FAA and – AFAIK – most other countries.

I’m going through the process of applying for a Kenyan licence, on the basis of my UK CAA-issued EASA PPL. I’m taking the advice of the CFI at Pegasus (based at Nairobi Wilson), which includes copies of my licence, evidence of current flying hours, medical exam with a Nairobi examiner, 100-question exam (cut-down 6 subjects), intro to Nairobi procedures and flight test in a 172. I’m planning 2nd week of Jan’17, and allowing 2 weeks. I was strongly advised to invest in rubber stamp with licence details/name, and use it liberally.

If 172driver has a simpler procedure, I’d very much appreciate details….

PM for copies of everything I’ve received, and contact details in Kenya.

Last Edited by 2greens1red at 03 Nov 23:41
Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

@2greens1red are you doing a validation or a conversion ? Two different things. I do not have a Kenyan license but hold a – now lapsed – Namibian and Australian one. The main problem with the Namibian one was actually the CAA in the UK. I wasn’t aware of the various formal requirements (e.g. release of information form, etc) and was only saved by a very understanding lady at Gatwick who, after several long phone calls, expedited the process. For Oz I validated my FAA license. Normally, you don’t need a separate medical for a validation and you typically only do air law and some other parts of the local curriculum, but not the whole shabang. Obviously you will have to do a flight test.

My understanding is validation isn’t the correct procedure between the UK and Kenya, as there isn’t a reciprocal arrangement for licences.

It may be different with FAA licences (i.e. US / Kenya).

My information comes from the CFI at Pegasus and another pilot who went through the procedure a couple of years ago.

I’ll make contact with the UK CAA to double-check, but I’m not optimistic.

Thanks, I’ll talk to Pegasus.

Looks like I’m going to rent with Pegasus, but without doing the whole validation process, as I don’t have enough recent experience in cessnas (anyone know if there is “wiggle-room”?)

Now the question is, what should I do around there? Suggestion is to fly to Amboseli for a day trip, but anything else worth doing?

Rented a 182 with Pegasus, and had a good experience. Flew with their Chief instructor who was a nice guy.
1.8 + charges etc came at ~800 USD, so not exactly cheap.

Last Edited by Noe at 21 Feb 15:17

I was wrong about no validation between Kenyan and UK aviation authorities – there is.

However, it needs extreme patience. I started towards the end of December ‘16, visiting Pegasus (at Wilson), the KCAA office at Wilson, and head office at Jomo. In theory, it’s simple, and the same procedure as validating an EASA PPL with the FAA from the UK CAA. So far, 6 visits to the KCAA, payment (£45?) to the UK CAA, and encouragement, over 9 months, to the KCAA to send an email to the UK CAA requesting validation. It was finally achieved last week. The other option is a full Kenyan PPL, taking exams etc. I’ll publish the procedure in detail.

While waiting for the validation I applied for a Kenyan student licence with local medical exam, which allowed me to fly dual and solo at Malindi, Wilson and Orly (airpark south of Nairobi). No pax though…

Incidentally, while hanging around Wilson between flights, I used the Kenya School of Flying Redbird FMX sim for a refresher – good tuition, and a very modest hourly rate (US$50?); they’ve a comprehensive worldwide database in their kit.

Last Edited by 2greens1red at 21 Oct 08:55

I’ve finally received my Kenyan PPL, after nearly 2 years.

I could fly on my validated EASA PPL but it was due to expire after 6 months, and although in theory it could be renewed I decided to get a full Kenyan PPL. This meant taking an abbreviated initial 100-question composite PPL exam (Airlaw/HP/Nav/Met/Ops/PoF/FRTOL), and I enrolled for 2 days’ ground school with Pegasus at Wilson. I also had a 172 check-ride with a Pegasus instructor.

Documents to accompany the PPL application included: UK and Kenyan (min. Class 2) medical certificates, UK EASA licence validation, radio-telephony application, English language qualification, log-book originals (signed and stamped by instructors if possible), full piston aircraft experience, photos, various payment receipts (via KCAA accounts office and their bank), plus proof of passing check-ride with local instructor.

My initial application was refused in May’18 due to wrong-size ID photos, and I declined to pay for a Justice of the Peace to certify my log-books. Frustrating, as I had to return to the UK, having allowed a week for the red-tape, but it wasn’t sufficient.

Returning in Oct’18, with correct ID photos and liberal application of rubber stamps on my log books, the KCAA office had lost my application file, and there appeared to be a cull of the original staff I had dealt with earlier.

Fortunately I’d kept copies of everything from my May’18 visit, and renewed my UK and Kenyan medicals. My licence was issued 48 hours later after an appointment with Head of Licensing. Two important tips: photocopy everything and online log books are not acceptable – print everything.

Further details via private message, including advice on possibly shortening the process.

Last Edited by 2greens1red at 28 Nov 20:35
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message