Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Replace/repair broken transponder

Hello,
another KT76A quit on me yesterday.

Which Mode-S transponder should I buy for an EASA-reg plane doing light IFR at times? I anticipate the avionics will be upgraded to a GTN650 in a year or two. Already have some experience with KT74, but I think maybe one of Garmin’s units will work better with the GTN?

I have been too lazy to bother learning about ADS-B, until now…

I now have a small pile of old KT76As, any tip for someone to (relatively inexpensive) repair them (preferrably) with a Form1?

G

Have a look at a Trig TT-31 as well.

Do you need to control it trough the GTN? It will waste some of your expensive GTN screen, if you wouldn’t use this?

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

The TT31 is also a nice product (easy upgrade), except for the twist and push squack entry. I do not need to control the transponder from the GTN.

Is there any point having ADS-B in or TIS in Europe?

G

If you get a Trig unit not only do you have no change of wiring, because it’s a slide in replacement for the KT76, you also get Extended Squitter capability for the future.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

AFAIK, Extended Squitter is ADS-B OUT, which will then need a modern certified GPS.

Whether ADS-B OUT is useful is debatable. We have had many threads on ADS-B here. Currently, nearly all aircraft radiating ADS-B are airliners, or some bizjets. Almost nobody can receive it and use it for anything useful – presently. Well, FR24 will be able to see you more reliably

There is no TIS (traffic data transmitted from ATC radars to the aircraft) in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Neil wrote:

If you get a Trig unit not only do you have no change of wiring, because it’s a slide in replacement for the KT76, you also get Extended Squitter capability for the future.

Not completely correct, it is a direct replacement for the KT-76*A* and KT-76*C* models only, not for the KT-76 without a letter.

Peter wrote:

AFAIK, Extended Squitter is ADS-B OUT, which will then need a modern certified GPS.

For a compliant installation, yes, the suggest GTN series are modern certified GPS receivers, so are ok.

Peter wrote:

Currently, nearly all aircraft radiating ADS-B are airliners, or some bizjets. Almost nobody can receive it and use it for anything useful – presently.

This is untrue, While the majority of general aviation aircraft still lack ADS-B out, more and more aircraft get it installed. You can receive it, quite some receivers are currently available. In my opinion it will be the traffic system of the future, as it cheap and becomes more more usefull when more and more people start to using ADS-B out.

If you don’t want ADS-B out now, make sure you buy a transponder which is ADS-B out capable.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I think the KT74 is basically a Trig TT31 with push button entry rather than the rotary knob, I understand it is manufactured for Bendix King by Trig.

I have the TT31; it is an excellent and so far reliable unit and the rotary knob entry is ok, but push buttons would be better. If I were purchasing again I would go for the KT74.

The KT74 is slightly more expensive than the TT31 but Bendix King offer a small trade-in on serviceable KT76A’s and C’s, which brings the price in-line with the Trig.

EGTP

Does any body have any experience of the gerrecht VT-2000? Which a believe is a slide in replacement for Bendix-king KT76 and KT76A and 76C

Bathman wrote:

Does any body have any experience of the gerrecht VT-2000?

I’ve had one in my previous aircraft and with the new dial panel, I think it is a very good product. Also made good experience with Garrecht as a company. Much better than my current Filser/Funkwerk/funke transponder and the crappy company behind it!

While the Garrecht products might not look the most attractive, I found their designs very clever and their quality ok.

From my experiance I would rate the transponders from this companies as: (1 as Best)
1. Trig
2. Garrecht
3. Garmin
4. Bendix / King
5. Becker
6. Filser / Funkwerk / Funke

Last Edited by Jesse at 12 Nov 20:22
JP-Avionics
EHMZ
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message