Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Requirements for flights with passengers

When a pilot needs to carry out one or more flights with an instructor or an examiner to comply with the requirement of FCL.060(b)(1) before the pilot can carry passengers, the instructor or examiner on board those flights will not be considered as a passenger.

That bit is new, because in Europe you had to do those 3 flights solo.

Would doing three to/ldgs onboard an N-Reg with a faa CFI count towards the easa recency requirement?

I reckon no, unless the FAA CFI is also an EASA FI – because you need an EASA FI " to comply with the requirement of FCL.060(b)(1) ". So an FAA CFI with no EASA FI rating would be considered to be a passenger

What a totally perverse world we live in, and we wonder why our spouses’ eyes glaze over at pilot meet-ups

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

Would doing three to/ldgs onboard an N-Reg with a faa CFI count towards the easa recency requirement?

An N-reg is not a class or type, so that aircraft should do for the type/class (to take pax on MEs you need 3 ME to/ldgs, to take pax on TMGs you need 3 ME to/ldgs…as far as I know there is no substitution between class/type on this rule: 3 to/ldgs in a B737-xxx does not count to fly pax on a SEP)

As far as I know, any 3 to/ldgs will count as long as you do them, you can legally fly that flight and no passengers on board, bear in mind you also need separate 1 to/ldgs to take pax on night flying

An FAA CFI is a passenger as far as FCL goes, unless he is flying the N-reg on his FAA privilege then you are a passenger

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Sep 09:58
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

bear in mind you also need separate set of 3 to/ldgs to take pax on night flying

Not in EASA land: it’s only one and only if you don’t have IR:

A pilot shall not operate an aircraft in commercial air transport or carrying passengers:
[…]
2. as PIC at night unless he/she:
has carried out in the preceding 90 days at least 1 take-off, approach and landing at night as a pilot flying in an aircraft of the same type or class or an FFS representing that type or class; or
holds an IR.

Ibra wrote:

An FAA CFI is a passenger as far as FCL goes, unless he is flying the N-reg on his FAA privilege then you are a passenger

I am not sure about that either. Say you have SEP but haven’t flown in 6 months. Legally you can go alone but if you feel unsure you want to take a lesson. You go flying with an instructor, then you have two options:

1. He is PIC, you are DUAL and perform the landings. You are not a passenger and you carry out your landings → you have the landings to take passengers after this flight but you write the flight with the instructor as DUAL. In my opinion this is completely legal.
  2. He comes with you and you still log the time as PIC. This is probably not legal but I have the feeling that it is practiced by instructors who have so many hours that they don’t care if you write PIC or not.
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

The CFI gave me my flight review in an N-Reg SEP. I did not log it as pic but I was pilot flying and did three to/ldg. Am I current again under EASA fcl 060?

always learning
LO__, Austria

I can’t find the source in a quick search, but you are allowed (at least on single engine, not sure multi) to take one (only) pilot with you provided that he knows you are out of currently.

Snoopy wrote:

I did not log it as pic

Did you log it as Dual? If yes, in my opinion you are current. The FCL text does not say that you have to be PIC when performing the landings, it says you have to perform them. In airliners the same is true: you are Copi but execute the landing, i.e. you have the controls.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

That bit is new, because in Europe you had to do those 3 flights solo.

You mean that if you were out of currency you wouldn’t be able to fly with an instructor (to regain that currency!)? That doesn’t seem right (probably why I’ve never heard of it):
- How would someone with a lapsed licence regain it?
- I’ve seen this frequently in with friends in clubs, where there is a 28 day rule where if you haven’t flown for longer than that you need to fly with an instructor. This would get you in a situation where the law would prevent you from flying with an instructor, while the club wouldn’t let you fly as you don’t have their currency.

it’s only one and only if you don’t have IR:

Has to be an EASA IR to exempt you from the night passenger carriage requirement. An FAA IR holder still needs to do the 3 takeoffs and 3 landings, at official night plus 1 hour.

He comes with you and you still log the time as PIC. This is probably not legal

I must be missing something, but why not? 6 months of not flying, you are legal to be PIC, and take any passenger. I know there is a tendency in EASA-land for any FI to be automatically PIC but it doesn’t make sense, and actually some IREs don’t practice that (they say you log as PIC).

you are allowed (at least on single engine, not sure multi) to take one (only) pilot with you provided that he knows you are out of currently.

This was always legal under FAA but must be a recent change under EASA. It is very sensible. @bookworm will know the details.

where there is a 28 day rule where if you haven’t flown for longer than that you need to fly with an instructor.

That is however not related to legality. It is just a club rule. They could require you to wear yellow underpants

You mean that if you were out of currency you wouldn’t be able to fly with an instructor (to regain that currency!)? That doesn’t seem right (probably why I’ve never heard of it):
- How would someone with a lapsed licence regain it?

Yes now I think that must be correct. What you could not do is fly with another (non FI) pilot (who can be legally PIC). That is/was a dumb rule. Under FAA you can.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Has to be an EASA IR to exempt you from the night passenger carriage requirement.

I don’t know the FAA regulations, that’s why I started my post with “in EASA land” but I see what you mean if the pilot is a holder of both an FAA and EASA licenses.

Peter wrote:

must be missing something, but why not? 6 months of not flying, you are legal to be PIC, and take any passenger.

You are not allowed to take a passenger if you are PIC and have not flown for 6 months: you don’t have three landings in the last 90 days.

Last Edited by Vladimir at 25 Sep 10:37
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Oh yes, whoops

It would be really interesting if the change (to regain your day passenger currency by flying with a non-FI PIC-capable pilot) has been actioned. It did appear in some NPA.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message