Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rescue helicopter collides with PA 28 near Karlsruhe (and electronic conspicuity)

This helicopter accident could have been avoided today using present technology. It comprises of a Mode C transponder in the aircraft and TAS/TCAS in the helicopter. There is absolutely no excuse for any PA28 type aircraft to be flying without a Mode C or Mode S (the Arrow had Mode S installed, it says above; whether it was ON we don’t know) and there is no excuse for a 1M+ cost heli to not have TAS/TCAS.

There is no need to force GA to spend 4 figures on ADS-B, which they will hate doing after the 8.33 debacle (well, the avionics shops will love it) and which will IMHO never be made mandatory for VFR OCAS, and all the time you are getting a poor installation / switching-on rate the system will not be working properly because the traffic most likely to hit you will be invisible – because they don’t have the kit or are deliberately not switching it on. This is of no help when installation is not mandatory. And ADS-B gives no protection for airline traffic whose TCAS is Mode C based. It is great technology but one needs to be realistic about what is possible to achieve, and in the part of the GA community in question (much of which absolutely wants to be invisible) it will simply not be achieved.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nevertheless, it’s a shame.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

If they found a way to include weather info in the ADS-B that would make it much more interesting to install soon.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Even an expensive ADS-B box is cheaper than a funeral.

EBKT

pmh wrote:

If they found a way to include weather info in the ADS-B that would make it much more interesting to install soon.

Isn’t it already available in SW part of UK ?

Last Edited by Robin_253 at 26 Jan 08:45

pmh wrote:

The way to include it exists and is implemented in the US. It’s the will to include it that’s lacking. Some lobbying is needed.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Peter wrote:

This helicopter accident could have been avoided today using present technology. It comprises of a Mode C transponder in the aircraft and TAS/TCAS in the helicopter. There is absolutely no excuse for any PA28 type aircraft to be flying without a Mode C or Mode S (the Arrow had Mode S installed, it says above; whether it was ON we don’t know) and there is no excuse for a 1M+ cost heli to not have TAS/TCAS.

The Helicopter had an anti collision device. It is not yet clear which one. The Arrow had mode S and it is standard procedure for VFR to have it on 7000. It will have to be determined whether it was on or not, if not, while you are right that there is no excuse, it is not the LAW to have it on.

I have been advocating to have transponders mandiatory for ALL traffic in the air for years, but I get screamed into the ground and even threatened in other forums for suggesting this, particularly the glider scene states that it would be the end of their operations. I don’t believe that, I rather think that there is a old grudge and fear of transponders because quite a few of these guys fly illegally in CAS all the time. If it is that, I’d rather see them grounded than give in.

Peter wrote:

There is no need to force GA to spend 4 figures on ADS-B,

Yes there is. Flying without collision avoidance today is like driving a motorcycle without a helmet. It has been abundantly clear that the MK1 eyeball is NOT enough in the airspace maze we have today. VFR traffic is often enough channelled into tight spaces where everybody flies across to avoid restricted or controlled airspace, to the point where there are collision hotspots all over the place. The worst however is exactly the situation we had in Speyer, where two planes in the vicinity of an uncontrolled airport do not see each other. This happens all the time.

FACT in Europe is, that if you want to see all the traffic there is, you need PowerFlarm or another device which can show Mode A/C , ADS-B and Flarm to see the gliders. Power Flarm installed is a 2000 Euro story +- and while I do not advocate yet another law I applaud the efforts of the Swiss CAA for instance who have offered to pay part of the installation for groups and private owners.

Clearly, the local TSB’s have been advocating a better solution for everyone. If things continue as they do, I would not be surprised if EASA finally cover their asses and impose something which may not be 4 but 5 figure such as real TCAS, which is unrealistic to be installed in anything but airliners.

In the end, personally I think the only solution which would really work is to go fully ADS-B and to force the European countries to provide the same traffic service available in the USA and force everyone who uses any form of airspace to carry a compatible device. But that is wishful thinking. Until then, PowerFlarm or similar is the best we have.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Powerflarm does not give you azimuth on Mode C/S targets, so unless you have all round windows and a rubber neck…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It doesn’t need to. It gives you the altitude difference. That is all TCAS does as well btw, it gives a VERTICAL resolution Advisory.

If I am flying in such a situation and I have a red alert with an unknown airplane at the same altitude sufficiently close to trigger an alert, then I change my altitude.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

while you are right that there is no excuse, it is not the LAW to have it on.

Yes, there is! SERA is clear that if you have an operational transponder it has to be turned on.

SERA.13001 Operation of an SSR transponder
(a) When an aircraft carries a serviceable SSR transponder, the pilot shall operate the transponder at all times during flight, regardless of whether the aircraft is within or outside airspace where SSR is used for ATS purposes

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message